These easy cream cheese cookies are pillowy soft and melt in your mouth. They have a delicate flavor and a sprinkling of powdered sugar on top for a cookie that’s not too sweet, but incredibly addictive.
If you’ve never tried cream cheese cookies before, I urge you try this easy recipe. They’re similar to gooey butter cookies, only they’re a little lighter in texture and have a delicious mild flavor thanks to the cream cheese. They’re creamy, delicate, and ridiculously soft.
What Are Cream Cheese Cookies?
Cream cheese cookies are very similar to butter cookies or a drop-style sugar cookie, only some of the butter is substituted with cream cheese. The cream cheese makes the cookies softer and more delicate. There’s also a slight tanginess to the flavor, which means they aren’t too rich or greasy.
Baking Tips & Tricks
- Take the butter and cream cheese out of the fridge 20-30 minutes before getting started they should be softened but not melting.
- Use full-fat, brick-style cream cheese. Spreadable and lite cream cheese don’t give the best results.
- A little vanilla extract and almond extract add so much flavor. I highly recommend using almond extract because it makes the cookies extra delicious.
- Cake flour makes the cookies delicate and helps with the melt-in-your mouth consistency. I highly recommend using cake flour. But if you’re really in a pinch, you could use 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour and 1/4 cup cornstarch instead.
- Sift the cake flour to avoid lumps.
- The dough is sticky – which is expected. Make sure to chill the dough for at least 1 hour prior to baking.
- For uniform cookies, use a cookie scoop. Then roll the dough into balls. You’ll want them about the size of a ping pong ball.
- If you find the dough is sticking to your fingers, lightly dust your hands in flour or powdered sugar before rolling the cookies into balls.
- Let the cookies cool slightly before sprinkling with powdered sugar – about 10 minutes. Otherwise, the powdered sugar will just melt into them.
Cream Cheese Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 4 oz cream cheese* softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups cake flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and cream cheese until evenly combined.
- Beat in the sugar.
- Mix in the vanilla extract, almond extract and egg.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat the flour mixture into the butter about 1/2 at a time.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop the dough into balls about the size of a ping pong ball, and roll into a small ball. Place 2 inches apart on the lined cookie sheet.
- Bake 1 sheet at a time on the middle rack of your oven for 7-9 minutes, or until the tops are set.
- Remove from the oven and cool for about 10 minutes, then dust the top with a little powdered sugar through a sieve.