Oatmeal Fudge Bars
Chewy oatmeal cookie and creamy chocolate come together in these Oatmeal Fudge Bars. So easy to make, and so much better than the Starbucks version!
Servings 16 Bars
For the Oatmeal Layers
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 and 1/3 cups old-fashioned oats
For the Chocolate Fudge*
- 1 and 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips or 50-70% dark chocolate
- 1 cup sweetened-condensed milk (one 14-oz can) - do not use evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Oatmeal Cookie Layer
In a large bowl whisk together the butter and sugars. Then whisk in the egg and vanilla.
Fold in the flour, salt & cinnamon, followed by the oatmeal.
Spoon about three quarters of the mixture into the bottom of your prepared pan to create an even layer of oatmeal cookie mixture. Set the remaining oatmeal mixture aside (about 1/2 - 3/4 cup).
Chocolate Fudge Layer
Add about 1/2 inch of water to a medium saucepan over low-medium heat and place a large glass bowl over top (ensure the bottom of the bowl doesn't touch the water).
Add the chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk and butter to the glass bowl. Gently stir the mixture as it melts.
Once the mixture is a smooth consistency, remove the pan from the heat.
Assemble and Bake
Pour the chocolate mixture over top of the oatmeal cookie layer.
With the remaining oatmeal mixture, drop tablespoons sized amounts over the chocolate fudge so that some fudge is showing.
Bake in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes. The pieces of oatmeal cookie on the top should look set. Cooking the bars for longer will result in crispier, less chewy bars.
Allow the bars to cool fully (about 3 hours). Lift the bars out of the pan using the overhang from the parchment paper/aluminum foil and place on a cutting board. Slice into bars using a sharp knife.
- If you'd prefer a thinner chocolate fudge layer (and therefore less rich bars), use 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons chocolate chips, 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk and 1 1/2 tablespoons butter for the fudge layer.
- Store bars in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
- Nutrition information is based on 1 bar, assuming the pan is cut into 16 equal pieces. It is meant as an estimate only.
Calories: 317kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 38mg | Sodium: 70mg | Potassium: 197mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 29g | Vitamin A: 296IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 77mg | Iron: 2mg