This easy, no-bake chocolate Malteser slice is chewy and fudgy with crunchy Maltesers throughout. It's topped with milk chocolate and even more Maltesers - it's the perfect slice recipe.
Servings 12 slices
- 1 cup Rice Bubble cereal AKA Rice Krispies
- 1 bag (140g) Maltesers* chopped
- 2 cups crushed biscuits such as digestives, Maries, or shortbread
- 200 grams dark chocolate* chopped
- 1 can (395g) sweetened-condensed milk
- 55 grams unsalted butter
- 200 grams milk chocolate chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- extra Maltesers*
Add the cereal, chopped Maltesers and crushed biscuits to a large bowl. Give it a few stirs so that they're evenly mixed.
Add about 1-2 cm of water to a medium saucepan over low heat and place a glass bowl overtop. Ensure that the bottom of the bowl isn't touching the water.
Add the chopped dark chocolate, sweetened condensed milk and butter chopped into pieces into the glass bowl. Melt the mixture together over low heat with the water underneath just simmering.
Remove the bowl from the heat and stir until smooth.
Pour the chocolate over the cereal mixture and stir until it's evenly coated.
Press the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan and place in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
Add the chopped chocolate and butter to a double boiler over low heat and melt until smooth. Or add to a heatproof bowl and microwave on medium power (not high power - which is standard/default on some models) for 45-second intervals, stirring between each.
Once smooth, pour the melted chocolate over top of the base layer, and smooth the top.
Place the bars back in the fridge to harden. When the chocolate is about 70-80% hardened (it will still look slightly glossy on top), score the top of the bars with a thin, sharp knife where you plan to cut them. Place an extra Malteser on top of each bar.
When ready to slice, lift the slice out of the pan using the overhang of the parchment paper. Place on a cutting board and slice using a sharp knife using the tracing marks that you scored earlier.
- A 20x20 cm (8x8 inch) pan or a 23x23 cm (9x9 inch) work best. A 20x28 cm pan will work, however, the slice will be much thinner.
- You will need one 140g bag of Maltesers for the base layer, plus extra for decorating the top of each bar. Feel free to just buy 1 bag if you don't plan on adding Maltesers on top.
- For the dark chocolate in the base layer, I typically use 50% dark chocolate. Anywhere between 45-70% works, but I wouldn't use anything stronger.
- Store bars in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Nutrition information is an estimate only and based on 1 slice, assuming the pan is sliced into 12 equal pieces.
Calories: 349kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 12mg | Sodium: 86mg | Potassium: 186mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 24g | Vitamin A: 295IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 21mg | Iron: 4mg