Coffee Cake Muffins
Coffee cake muffins are moist and fluffy with a delicious buttery vanilla flavor. They have a layer of cinnamon sugar in the middle and crunchy cinnamon streusel on top that adds a delicious crunch.
Servings 12 muffins
Cinnamon Sugar Filling
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar (66 grams)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (62.5 grams)
- ½ cup light brown sugar (100 grams) or ¼ cup granulated sugar and ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (56 grams) melted
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (250 grams) measured properly
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter (112 grams) softened, but not melted
- ¾ cup granulated sugar (150 grams)
- ¼ cup brown sugar (50 grams) I used light
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup sour cream (120 ml)
- ⅓ cup milk (80 ml) I recommend 2%
- ½ cup powdered sugar (55 grams)
- 1 -2 tablespoons milk or cream
Stir together the flour, sugar and cinnamon until there are no lumps.
Stir in the melted butter. It should form crumbles and feel like damp sand.
Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium-sized bowl.
In a separate large bowl, beat the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until fluffy.
Add in the vanilla extract and beat in the eggs 1 at a time. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure there are no lumps of butter.
With the mixer on a low speed, mix in about ½ of the flour mixture, followed by the sour cream.
Beat in the rest of the flour mixture, followed by the milk. Stop mixing as soon as the ingredients are combined. Be very careful not to over mix the batter.
Assembling and Baking the Muffins
Spoon about 1 to 1 ½ tablespoons of batter into the bottom of each lined muffin cavity. They should be about ¼ to ⅓ full.
Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture on top of each muffin cavity. Divide the mixture evenly between the 12 muffins.
Spoon about 1 tablespoon of muffin batter on top of each muffin. After covering the cinnamon sugar layer of all 12 muffins, add a little extra muffin batter on top of each if you have batter left. The muffins papers should be about ⅔ to ¾ full.
Sprinkle the crumble on top of each muffin. You want the top of each muffin to be evenly covered with small crumbles.
Bake in the preheated oven for about 23-27 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and continue cooling on a wire rack.
Whisk ½ cup powdered sugar with 1 tablespoon milk until smooth. Whisk in a little extra milk or powdered sugar as needed. It should be thin enough to drizzle, but still white in color.
Drizzle the glaze onto the cooled muffins.
- Room Temperature Ingredients: The butter, eggs, sour cream and milk should all be room temperature before getting started.
- Streusel Topping: You may not use quite all of the streusel.
- Storage: Store muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Muffins are best if enjoyed the day you bake them.
- Nutrition Information: Details provided are an estimate only and based on 1 muffin, assuming the recipe yields 12 equal-sized muffins and all of the streusel and glaze is used.
Calories: 387kcal | Carbohydrates: 61g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 67mg | Sodium: 123mg | Potassium: 121mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 40g | Vitamin A: 472IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 62mg | Iron: 2mg