Chocolate Chip Cookies without Brown Sugar
These chocolate chip cookies are made without brown sugar for when you're in a pinch. They're quick and easy to make with a deliciously soft and chewy texture.
Servings 22 cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter (112 grams) softened, but not melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200 grams)
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 ⅔ cups all-purpose flour (208 grams)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips (180 grams) divided into ¾ cup and ¼ cup
Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or baking mats.
In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until fluffy.
Mix in the egg and vanilla extract.
With the mixer on a low speed, mix in the flour, baking soda and salt.
Stir in ¾ cup chocolate chips (you'll save the remaining ¼ cup for dotting on top of the cookies).
For the dough into balls with about 1 - 1 ½ tablespoons of dough each. They'll be in between the size of a ping pong ball and a golf ball. Place the balls 2 inches apart on the lined cookie sheets.
Bake 1 sheet at a time in the preheated oven for about 9-11 minutes or until the tops look set. Note that when they're done baking they won't be quite as golden brown as other chocolate chip cookies, because they don't have the brown sugar.
Remove from the oven and place a few extra chocolate chips from the reserved ¼ cup on top of each cookie. Cool on the cookie sheets for 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to continue cooling.
- Butter: Using salted butter is ok. If using salted butter, omit the salt from the recipe.
- Measuring Flour: If using cup measurements (instead of a scale) be sure to whisk the flour first. Then spoon into dry measuring cups and level off the top.
- Storage: Store cooled cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. Baked and cooled cookies can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- Doubling the Recipe: To double the recipe, you'll need:
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chocolate chips - divided into 1 ½ cups and ½ cup for dotting on top of each cookie
- Nutrition: Details provided are an estimate only and based on 1 cookie, assuming the recipe yields 22 equal-sized cookies.
Calories: 155kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 29mg | Sodium: 64mg | Potassium: 18mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 172IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 15mg | Iron: 1mg