Chewy, fudgy blondies with a rich butterscotch taste and filled with butterscotch chips. These butterscotch blondies are so easy to make, don't require a mixer and only use 1 bowl.
Servings 9 squares
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup brown sugar* packed
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract*
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour spooned and leveled
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3/4 cup butterscotch chips
Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
Line an 8 x 8 inch (20x20 cm)* pan with aluminum foil leaving an overhang around the edges and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Or line with parchment paper, leaving an overhang.
In a medium bowl whisk together the melted butter and brown sugar until combined. Ensure that the butter doesn't look separate.
Make sure that the mixture isn't hot, then whisk in the egg and vanilla extract.
Fold in the flour and salt, and then stir in the butterscotch chips.
Pour the batter into your lined pan, and bake for 20-25 minutes until the top is just set and edges are beginning to pull away from the sides of the pan.
Let cool in the pan until completely set - at least 1 hour.
When ready to slice, lift the bars out of the pan using the overhang from the parchment paper/aluminum foil. Place on a cutting board and slice with a sharp knife.
- This recipe is designed for an 8x8 inch (20x20 cm) pan. Do not use a 9x9 inch (23x23 cm) pan as there is not enough batter. This recipe can be doubled and made in a 9x13 inch (23x33 cm) pan. The bake time will be around 25-27 minutes.
- I prefer to use dark brown sugar, but feel free to use light brown sugar too. These bars are very sweet. If you prefer something less sweet, you can reduce the sugar to 3/4 cup.
- Yes, 1 full tablespoon of vanilla extract.
- Blondies can be kept in an air-tight container at room temperature or in the fridge for up to 5 days. Blondies that are fully cooled can be frozen for up to 2 months.
- Nutrition information is an estimate only and based on 1 bar, assuming that the pan is sliced into 9 equal pieces.
Calories: 301kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 49mg | Sodium: 225mg | Potassium: 55mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 35g | Vitamin A: 359IU | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 1mg