Super soft & chewy coconut cookies. With a slight hint of caramel – these delicate cookies are so simple and delicious.Last week I bought a very large bag of coconut. I had no idea what I’d make with it – but I figured having it in my cupboard would give me inspiration.
I debated making some sort of coconut cupcake – but that seemed like too much work. Maybe tropical muffins? Pineapple isn’t in season. Turns out, because I was searching for something complicated I completely forgot about one of the most delicious options – Coconut Cookies.
Not haystacks or anzac cookies – but super chewy coconut cookies. Thin & soft, with a slight caramel taste, and lots of coconut. A little crispy on the edges, but completely chewy with no dry cookie crumbs. The type of cookie that you can stack and eat 3 at once.
These cookies get their delicious caramel-like taste and chewiness from using brown sugar and honey. The coconut gives a great texture, and then slightly underbaking makes them super soft.
Now, I for one usually prefer a thick cookie – but these are so chewy and soft that I didn’t miss having a thicker cookie one bit. They’re delicate in a delicious way that works perfectly with the coconut flavor. However, because they’re a thinner cookie I wouldn’t recommend adding chocolate chips or other add-ins.My only final advice for these cookies is about keeping them thin without burning. Because the batter is soft and the cookies are meant to spread, drop the dough onto your prepared cookie sheet in balls no bigger than 1 tablespoon. Make sure the cookies are placed at least 2 inches apart so that they don’t spread into each other. And finally, under bake. Under baking keeps them oh so soft.
Seriously, these coconut cookies are deliciously soft, chewy and amazing. I can eat about 5 in one sitting and I recommend that you do too!
Chewy Coconut Cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter , softened to room temperature
- ⅔ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg , room temperature
- 1 and ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 and ⅓ cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 teaspoons boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large bowl beat the butter, sugars & honey together until light and fluffy. Add in the egg and vanilla and continue mixing.
- In a separate medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat on low to low-medium speed until almost combined. Then beat in the boiling water and coconut.
- Drop the cookie dough into small balls (slightly under a tablespoon) on your prepared cookie sheet 3 inches apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until the edges are just starting to brown and the tops are beginning to set.
- Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for about 5-10 minutes, then continue cooling on a wire rack.
I love coconut and these cookies did not disappoint! Have eaten four since they came out of the oven half an hour ago. Thanks for a really quick, easy and delicious recipe!
These are excellent!! We winter in Mazatlan so no mixmaster…it was a workout beating the ingredients by hand but well worth the effort! Thanks!
My new favorite cookie. I made these for my husband thinking I wouldn’t even eat them because I generally don’t like coconut. Was I wrong. these are so good I could eat the whole batch. My husband? He couldn’t stop eating them. They are so delicious and easy to make. Thank you for sharing this recipe.