Crispy, crunchy, chewy gooey – these chocolate Rice Krispie treats have a delicious milk chocolate, marshmallow flavor. They’re the perfect twist on classic Rice Krispies.
Rice Krispie squares are delicious, but have you ever thrown in some milk chocolate til it gets all melty and combines with the marshmallows? Because what you end up with are the most delicious Rice Krispie treats that taste almost like the middle of a s’more with milk chocolate and gooey deliciousness.
Making Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
These chocolate Rice Krispie treats are easy to make, just like the classic.
You’ll start by melting together 1/3 cup unsalted butter with one 10-oz bag of mini marshmallows in a large pot over low heat. You want to make sure that your burner is on very low heat and that you gently stir the mixture so that the marshmallows don’t burn. Then you’ll add in 1/4 cup of cocoa powder and stir it into the mixture as the marshmallows and butter continue to melt.
Then for extra chocolate, when the marshmallows are about 80% melted, you’ll add in 4 oz of finely chopped milk chocolate. You can also use chocolate chips too – you’d need 2/3 cups. Gently stir in the chocolate as it melts and combines with the gooey goodness.
Then turn off the burner and quickly stir in the Rice Krispies. I always stir the cereal into the marshmallow mixture instead of pouring the mixture over the cereal because I find it’s way easier to stir everything together. You need to work quickly because it will start to firm up, making it harder to stir.
Note that you can use anywhere between 4-5 cups of Rice Krispies in this recipe. I typically use about 4 1/2 for bars that are firm, but still pretty soft.
Then gently press the mixture into a greased 8×8 inch (20×20 cm) pan.
Baking Tips & Tricks
- Some people like to make Rice Krispie treats in the microwave. I don’t recommend it for this recipe because I find you run the risk of the chocolate burning.
- You can easily double the recipe and make it in a 9×13 inch pan (note that you will need a very, very large saucepan).
- You can also make the recipe as is, and press the mixture into a 9×13 inch pan (instead of an 8×8 or 9×9 inch pan) for thinner squares.
- Before stirring in the cereal, lightly spray your spatula or wooden spoon with non-stick cooking spray to avoid sticking.
- Never store Rice Krispie treats in the fridge – otherwise, they can get too hard.
Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 10 oz bag mini marshmallows
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 oz milk chocolate, chopped* or 2/3 cup chocolate chips
- 4-5 cups Rice Krispies*
- Lightly grease an 8x8 or 9x9 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray or butter.
- Add the butter and marshmallows to a large saucepan over low heat.
- Gently stir the mixture as the marshmallows and butter begin to melt.
- Stir in the cocoa powder until it's combined.
- When the marshmallows are about 80% melted, add in the chocolate and gently stir until melted and combined.
- Once everything is melted, turn off the burner and stir in the cereal. I typically start with 3 cups, and then mix in 1 cup at a time.
- Turn the cereal into the greased pan and gently press it down using a lightly greased hands (I spray them with non-stick cooking spray) or a lightly greased rubber spatula.
- Let the bars sit and room temperature for 60 minutes, or until firm. Then slice into bars and store at room temperature in an airtight container.
- Feel free to use semi-sweet chocolate instead.
- I typically use 4 cups for gooier bars.
- Store rice krispie treats in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Do not store in the fridge, or otherwise they can get hard.