Cream cheese pound cake is rich, buttery, moist and completely delicious. With only 6 ingredients, it’s an easy pound cake recipe that never disappoints.
This cream cheese pound is the absolute best pound cake recipe I’ve ever tried. It has perfectly golden edges, a delicious buttery flavor, an extra moist cake crumb, and that perfectly dense and tender texture that’s quintessential of pound cakes.
It’s delicious on it’s own, or with berries and whipped cream. Because seriously, can you go wrong with a classic?
So why is it called pound cake?
- Traditionally pound cake was made with 1 lb each of butter, sugar, eggs, and flour.
- In France pound cake is called “quatre-quarts” – meaning 4 quarters because there are equal parts of the 4 ingredients.
But for today’s cream cheese pound cake, we’re switching it up a bit.
Cream Cheese Pound Cake
To make cream cheese pound cake instead of classic pound cake, we’re replacing some of the butter with cream cheese. The cream cheese adds a slight tanginess to the flavor and creates an even richer, more tender pound cake. Here’s what to do:
- Sift the flour. This makes the cake have a finer cake crumb and ensures no lumps in the batter.
- Beat together the butter and cream cheese until smooth. (Because no one likes lumps).
- Then mix in the eggs 2 at a time.
- Finally, mix in the flour about 1/2 at a time.
- Spoon the batter into a bundt pan and bake for 75 minutes (yup – you read that right).
You’ll notice that there’s no baking powder or baking soda in this recipe, which is the traditional pound cake method. When the batter is mixed air is added to the batter, which creates lift and make the cake rise.
Tips for Making Pound Cake
Making pound cake is really easy, but there’s a few key tips for success.
- Start with good quality butter and cream cheese to get the best flavor.
- The butter, cream cheese and eggs must be room temperature before getting started.
- Grease and flour the pan really well – even if your pan says nonstick.
- Use a light colored bundt pan to prevent over browning or burning the edges.
- Allow the pound cake to cool fully in the bundt pan before removing it.
This cream cheese pound cake is so delicious in all of its simplicity. It’s tender, moist, and has that completely delicious buttery flavor. It’s a classic recipe for good reason – and it’s definitely my favorite pound cake recipe.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter , softened (3 sticks)
- 8 oz cream cheese , softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 325F degrees.
Grease and flour 10 inch bundt pan.*
In a large bowl sift the flour.
In a separate bowl beat together the butter and cream cheese until fluffy.
Mix in the sugar.
Then mix in the eggs 2 at a time.
Gradually beat in the flour about 1/2 at a time.
Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 75 minutes or until the top is golden and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Allow to cool in the pan for about 20 minutes, then release from the pan and continue cooling on a wire rack.
* Even if the pan is nonstick, I recommend greasing and flouring.