Have you ever had drumstick cake? It’s this amazing homemade peanut butter ice cream cake that combines all the flavors of a drumstick ice cream cone – but in cake form so it doesn’t melt all over your hands and there’s no fear of dropping your ice cream.
Basically homemade peanut butter soft serve ice cream topped with chocolate sauce & peanuts.
The first time I tried drumstick cake was a few years ago when Jay’s grandmother made it for a summer BBQ. Creamy peanut butter ice cream, hot fudge sauce, crunchy peanuts – delicious. It’s actually the perfect dessert for summer – and if you love peanut buster parfaits from Dairy Queen, drumsticks or ice cream cake (seriously, who doesn’t?) – then you need to try this recipe.
There’s some versions of drumstick cake that are baked and more like a cheesecake. But for today’s recipe we’re making drumstick cake with no eggs. Instead it’s a big ice cream cake that’s cold, creamy, dreamy and perfect for warm weather.
How to Make Drumstick Cake
For the base, I like to make an Oreo cookie crust. (More chocolate is always better). But I’ve also seen versions using graham cracker crumbs or Nilla wafers instead.
Then the ice cream layer is made from cream cheese, sugar, peanut butter & whipped topping. First we beat together the cream cheese, sugar and peanut butter. Then the whipped topping is folded in. The mixture is smoothed over the crust, then it’s time to chill in the fridge to let the cake harden.
You can make the cake in under 10 minutes, so it actually takes less time than driving to Dairy Queen to buy an ice cream cake.
I like to top each piece with hot fudge sauce and chopped peanuts – but adding a few chocolate chips is always a good idea too.
The cake is creamy, peanut buttery, and a little fluffier than just plain ice cream. I like to think of it more as homemade peanut butter soft serve ice cream. Which I think you’ll agree – is a completely deadly combination.
Looking online, I couldn’t find many recipes for drumstick cake so I’m thinking it must be a regional recipe. Have you ever made it? Either way – if you love peanut butter & drumstick ice cream cones then you need to try this drumstick cake. So easy and so much peanut butter deliciousness.
Oreo Cookie Crust
- 2 1/4 cup Oreo crumbs
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted
Peanut Butter Layer
- 16 oz cream cheese , softened (500 g)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter , not natural
- 4 cup whipped topping , thawed
- hot fudge sauce
- chopped peanuts
- In a medium bowl stir together the Oreo crumbs and melted butter.
- Press into the bottom of a lightly greased 9x13 inch pan. Place in the freezer while you make the peanut butter layer.
- In a large bowl beat together the cream cheese and sugar until very soft. Then beat in the peanut butter.
- Turn off the mixer and gently fold in the whipped topping until the mixture is evenly combined.
- Spread overtop of the Oreo crust and smooth the top. Place in the freezer for at least 4 hours to chill.
- When ready to serve, allow the cake to warm up slightly so it's easier to cut. Cut into pieces and top with fudge sauce and chopped peanuts.
What are some of your favorite summer time frozen treats? I can’t wait to try these Strawberries & Cream Popsicles from What Molly Made and these Almond Butter Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches from The Wooden Skillet.