Soft, chewy Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies. Just like a peanut butter cup – but in cookie form. January 24th was National Peanut Butter Day and I forgot. Peanut butter is honestly one of my oldest friends – so the fact that I missed out on the celebrations is not OK.
To apologize – I’m sharing with you some delectable peanut butter cookies. Peanut butter cookies that are actually chocolate peanut butter cups in cookie form. Chewy & soft with BIG peanut butter flavor and they completely melt in your mouth. Then toss in some chocolate chips – and you’ve reached peanut butter perfection. (Not that peanut butter isn’t perfect on its own.)
What makes these cookies taste like peanut butter cups is the fact that they don’t use flour or butter in the recipe. By removing the flour – you end up with rich peanut butter flavor that gets to shine all on its own. Now – I’m not claiming they’re health food or anything because we’re skipping out on the flour… but they are gluten free & dairy free if you’re looking for an excuse to eat 5.
You’ll also fall in love with how easy these cookies are to make. They come together in about 5 minutes – and all the ingredients are likely things you already have in your cupboard. Late night craving???? Winter storm????? I’ve got you covered.
To get started, you’ll add all the ingredients – minus the chocolate chips – into a large bowl and mix them together. You could use an electric mixer here, or just a little arm muscle and a wooden spoon will do. (Note – I have tiny arm muscles and I had no problem getting everything mixed using a wooden spoon.) I don’t recommend using natural peanut butter in this recipe because it can be too oily and cause your cookies to separate. Chunky or smooth are both perfect. Then once mixed together…. add in your chocolate chips…. and you’re done.
Finally, spoon your cookies into balls of about 1.5 tablespoons, and let them chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Chilling the dough is definitely necessary. If you skip this step you can end up with cookies that spread too much and are a bit of a mess.
Don’t let the chilling time scare you though – these cookies are ridiculously simple to make and oh so delicious. And when you need an easy recipe to get your peanut butter fix? They’re definitely the way to go!
- 1 cup peanut butter , chunky or smooth - natural peanut butter is not recommended
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar , packed
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons chocolate chips (semi-sweet, milk or dark)
- Add the peanut butter, sugars, egg, vanilla, baking soda and salt to a medium to medium-large bowl. Using a large wooden spoon, rubber spatula or electric mixer - mix the ingredients together until combined. There should be no sugar clumps - but if the sugar feels slightly gritty this is ok because it will melt when baking. Add in 3/4 cup chocolate chips and stir until combined.
- Form dough into balls of about 1.5 tablespoons - I ended up with 18 cookies total. Place cookie dough balls on a plate, cover with clingfilm & refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Once ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Right before baking, remove dough balls from the fridge and place 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes until the tops are almost set. Remove from the oven and place the remaining 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips on the tops of your cookies. Allow cookies to cool for at least 10 minutes on the cookie tray before moving to cool completely on a wire rack.