These Ricotta Pancakes have the fluffiest texture and a deliciously creamy flavor. If you ever feel like pancakes can taste a little bland, or if you’re looking to make your pancakes extra special – these fluffy ricotta pancakes are for you!
I absolutely love thick, super fluffy pancakes. Because the thicker the pancake, the more maple syrup they soak up.
Plus – there’s something very impressive about a ridiculously tall stack of pancakes. And these fluffy ricotta pancakes definitely don’t disappoint.
Ricotta pancakes have a delicious creamy flavor, the fluffiest texture, and are the thickest pancakes you’ll ever eat. The ricotta cheese adds a luxurious flavor that’ll remind you of cheesecake and pairs perfectly with fresh fruit and maple syrup.
And if you’re looking for a pancake option that makes you feel just a little fancy (like those brunch places that are lined up with about 500 million people on a Sunday morning), or if you think pancakes can sometimes taste a little bland – then ricotta pancakes are the perfect breakfast option for you. The first time I tried adding ricotta cheese in pancakes was Nigella Lawson’s recipe for ricotta hotcakes from her book Forever Summer. The fluffy texture and creamy flavor were a definite hit.
But I wanted to develop a recipe for fluffy ricotta pancakes that was a little more reminiscent of American diner-style breakfast pancakes. Ones that are thick, fluffy and giant sized. And this recipe is exactly that.
Super fluffy breakfast pancakes, with a delicious creamy ricotta flavor that’s not overpowering. Perfection.
These pancakes are fluffy and tall for a few reasons:
- The ricotta cheese keeps the batter thick.
- Not adding too much milk – I found ⅔ cups the perfect amount.
- Then finally the eggs whites are frothed before we gently fold them into the mixture. This is key for keeping our pancakes fluffy.
Seriously, the fluffy texture and creamy flavor is perfect. And if you’re looking for a pancake recipe that’s a little extra special, these fluffy ricotta pancakes are the perfect thing!
Fluffy Ricotta Pancakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 and ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- ⅔ cup milk (skim, 1% or 2%)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs , separated
- oil , for greasing the griddle or frying pan
- Preheat a frying pan to medium heat or an electric griddle to 350F degrees.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar and baking powder.
- Then in a medium sized bowl using a hand whisk or electric mixer, whisk the egg whites. You don't need stiff peaks, but the egg whites should appear white in color and frothy.
- In a separate bowl (or a large liquid measuring cup) whisk together the ricotta cheese, milk, vanilla and egg yolks.
- Using a large wooden fold the ricotta cheese mixture into the flour mixture - leaving a few lumps is ok. Then gently fold in the egg whites.
- Add a little oil to the preheated griddle or frying pan. Using a ¼ cup or ⅓ cup dry measure cup, pour the batter onto the preheated griddle or frying pan. Allow the first side to cook for 2-3 minutes or until you see a few air bubbles forming. Then flip the pancakes to the other side and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes or until golden. Repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Serve immediately with fresh fruit & syrup, or your favorite pancake toppings.
These pancakes look so soft and fluffy! Perfect for a weekend morning!
Wow! Those pancakes are just so fluffy! They look delicious!
These were absolutely PERFECT for my day off. Thank you so much for sharing!
I’m so glad you loved them! I hope you had a great day off!
OMG!!! Just made these for lunch. Well, they are ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!🤗 Easy to prepare and will instantly disappear! I PROMISE!
That sounds like such a delicious lunch! So glad you loved them 🙂
Thank you for sharing such a wonderful recipe 🙂. They were delicious…lovely flavour & texture and the perfect amount of sweetness.
I made slightly bigger pancakes and used butter to grease the pan, instead of oil.
Just made them, they tasted amazing!!! I was short on time so I did not separate the egg whites but they were just as fluffy and light!!! Thanks heaps!!!
Made these amazing fluffy pancakes twice. First time followed directions to the T. Second mixed everything together but the egg whites – folding those in last. Results were identical. This recipe truly makes perfect pancakes. I found using pancake/egg rounds/molds help with shape and cook time. Cooked on an electric stove for 3-5 min each side on low to a perfect golden brown.
These are delicious! They were REALLY fluffy, so I made them small so they cooked all the way through. I also added chocolate chips to some 🙂 Thanks for the recipe!
Hello Fiona and thank you for this recipe ! This pancakes are so good and so fluffy ! I did some just for me 😀
These were absolutely awesome. I made them gluten free by subbing out all purpose flour for Kings Arthur Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Mix. These were what I was looking for: fluffy and light! Thank you!!!