These lemon pancakes have a deliciously bright & sunny flavor thanks to fresh lemon juice and lemon zest. They’re extra fluffy with golden edges, and taste delicious with summer berries or syrup. If you’re looking for a pancake recipe that’s a little extra special – then these are for you.
I’ve been dreaming about these lemon pancakes for quite some time. I wanted an easy pancake recipe that’s just a little different. Something that tastes like sunshine. And that’s exactly what these lemon pancakes are.
The lemon flavor is bright, fresh, and never sour. It compliments the hint of butter that’s oh so important in any pancake recipe. And it definitely makes the pancakes taste just a little gourmet.
Lemon Pancake Recipe
These lemon pancakes are super easy to make and very similar to making your traditional buttermilk pancakes.
The delicious lemon flavor comes from fresh lemon zest and lemon juice. I’ve made these with regular lemons and also meyer lemons, and both are completely delicious. I don’t recommend using lemon juice from the bottle however because I find that it’s too sour.
Then for even more flavor we’re adding a little melted butter, granulated sugar and vanilla extract. The sugar also helps to give those perfectly golden edges too, and ensures that the pancakes have just a hint of sweetness.
You’ll notice that my pancakes are quite thick, which is definitely my preference. If you prefer pancakes that are a little thinner, feel free to use 2 cups of all-purpose flour instead of 2 ¼ cups.
And now for some pancake making tips:
- Allow the ingredients to all be at room temperature first so everything mixes together evenly.
- You can place the egg in a bowl of lukewarm water for 5 minutes and microwave the milk on low power for 10-20 seconds. Or just place them on the counter 10-15 minutes prior.
- For extra fluffy pancakes, be careful not to over mix/stir the batter. In pancakes, having a few lumps in the batter is totally ok.
- I recommend greasing the frying pan or griddle with oil instead of butter. Oil has a higher boiling point, and is therefore less likely to burn your pancakes.
- If your pancakes seem to be burning but aren’t fully cooked on the inside, your burner is likely too hot.
These lemon pancakes are such a delicious, easy recipe for breakfast or brunch. I love them served with fresh fruit, whipped cream, syrup, or any kind of fruit topping. Like this strawberry sauce or this blueberry sauce.
They definitely taste more special than regular pancakes, and they’re just as easy to make!
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups milk*
- ½ cup lemon juice , freshly squeezed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Whisk together the milk and lemon juice.
- In a liquid measuring cup or bowl whisk together the eggs, vanilla extract, melted butter, sugar and lemon zest.
- Then whisk the milk mixture into the bowl with the eggs.
- Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Heat a griddle to 350F degrees or a frying pan to medium-low heat. Lightly grease with oil or non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour about ¼ cup of batter onto the griddle/pan and fry until you see a few air bubbles form. Flip and continue to fry on the second side until both sides are golden.
- Repeat with the rest of the batter.