These light & fluffy banana pancakes are like banana bread in pancake form. Start your morning with this easy recipe!
I love breakfast. And I also love making breakfast. Pancakes, muffins, waffles, smoothies…. Making breakfast is my kitchen therapy.
And what could be better kitchen therapy than pancakes? Delicious, super easy, ready in no time & no extra grocery trip required? Zero stress and so, so, so tasty. Yup – making these light & fluffy banana pancakes is pretty much the best way to start your day.
Now – full disclaimer. Banana pancakes are my favorite. They’re super moist; light & fluffy; have tons of flavor from the bananas, cinnamon & vanilla; and they never taste dry or bland. Even sans chocolate chips – they’re crazy delicious.
Now – these banana pancakes are AMAZING. I had them two days in a row in fact. What makes them so delicious is that they use the best of both worlds from banana bread and light & fluffy pancakes. They’re super moist, have a delicious banana flavor, and benefit from cinnamon, brown sugar & lots of vanilla like banana bread. Then – they’re super fluffy, have golden brown edges and taste amazing with whipped cream & maple syrup just like your favorite pancakes. Making them with buttermilk is the trick to super light & fluffiness.
Banana bread + pancakes = love.
How to Make the Pancakes
To make these light & fluffy banana pancakes, all you’ll do is whisk together your dry ingredients in a large bowl. Then you’ll mix your wet ingredients – your ripe bananas, egg, butter, buttermilk & vanilla – in a separate bowl. Add your wet into your dry and mix til almost combined with a rubber spatula, and you’re done! To keep your pancakes fluffy, you only need to mix the wet into the dry ingredients until just combined – a few lumps are totally OK! Here’s to being lazy!
Then pour about ¼ cup of batter onto your griddle or frying pan – then when you see bubbles on the uncooked side, flip ’em over and continue cooking for about 2-3 minutes.
These pancakes taste amazing with some chocolate chips sprinkled in – but they’re also amazing totally plain. Douse them in maple syrup or maybe sprinkled with icing sugar – and you’ve got yourself quite the feast. Jack Johnson totally optional!
Light Fluffy Banana Pancakes
- 2 medium sized very ripe bananas , mashed until no lumps remain
- 2 tablespoons melted butter , cooled to room temperature
- 1 large egg , room temperature preferred
- 1 cup buttermilk ,room temperature preferred*
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour , spooned and leveled
- ½ - 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- butter or non-stick cooking spray
- In a medium-sized bowl whisk together the bananas, melted butter, egg, buttermilk & vanilla until well combined. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk the flour, cinnamon, baking powder salt & brown sugar.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients using a large wooden spoon or rubber spatula until just combined.
- Turn on a griddle to 350F degrees or heat a large frying pan to medium heat. Lightly grease with butter or non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour about ¼ cup of batter onto the griddle or pan for each pancake. Cook for about 2-4 minutes until small bubbles begin to form on the uncooked side, then flip the pancakes and continue cooking for about 2-3 minutes until both sides are golden brown.
- Coat griddle/frying pan with butter or non-stick cooking spray between each pancake batch.
- Serve immediately either plain, with maple syrup, fresh fruit or your favorite pancake toppings.