These soft, buttery strawberry muffins have perfectly golden tops and are bursting with strawberries. They can be made with fresh or frozen strawberries and are perfect for breakfast or brunch.
These strawberry muffins are an easy muffin recipe that yields moist, tender muffins with a delicious buttery vanilla flavor. They’re filled with juicy strawberries in every bite; and have gorgeous, golden perfectly domed muffin tops. (How’s that for adjectives???)
And as much as I love blueberry muffins – these strawberry muffins just might take the cake (er… muffin) for the perfect summer muffin recipe. Although I’ll happily eat them any time of year.
Here’s what makes these strawberry muffins so delicious:
- Using real butter for that delicious buttery flavor
- Just enough sugar so they’re sweet and perfectly golden, but not enough that they taste like cake
- Lots of vanilla extract and a little almond extract for extra flavor –> the almond really compliments the strawberries
- 2 eggs for a tender muffin crumb
- Greek yogurt (or sour cream) and milk for a moist, fluffy, extra soft texture
- Then lots and lots of chopped strawberries
One question I always get asked is if you can use frozen berries? I prefer fresh berries when they’re in season. However for frozen berries, make sure not to thaw them first. Then chop them into small pieces and toss with 2 tsp of flour to help prevent the color bleeding.
5 Tips for Perfect Strawberry Muffins
- Like any muffin recipe, make sure that your ingredients are at room temperature before getting started. This helps everything mix together evenly without over mixing.
- Measure the flour correctly. Too much flour leads to dry, crumbly muffins. Whisk the flour first, then spoon it into a dry measuring cup and level off the top.
- Don’t over mix the batter. Gently fold in the dry ingredients using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Mixing the batter too much causes the crumb to be tough.
- Fill the muffin papers to the very top. This helps your muffins have perfectly domed tops.
- Bake at 375F degrees. This helps the muffins rise nicely and have a beautiful golden color without burning.
These strawberry muffins are moist, fluffy, buttery and filled with juicy strawberries. It’s an easy muffin recipe that’s perfect for breakfast, brunch or a mid-morning snack – and the perfect way to celebrate strawberry season.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour , spooned and leveled
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract , optional
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt , or sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups chopped strawberries , about 8-10 oz unchopped
- Preheat the oven to 375F degrees and line a muffin pan with papers.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate large bowl beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, vanilla and almond extract.
- Turn off the mixer and stir in the sour cream.
- Gently fold in the flour mixture, followed by the milk.
- Once almost combined (lumps are ok), gently fold in the chopped berries.
- Spoon into the muffin pan filling each to the very top (you'll end up with about 12-14 muffins total).
- Bake in the middle rack of the preheated oven for 17-20 minutes or until the tops are golden and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
For more strawberry recipes, try these favorites:
For more muffin recipes, make sure to try these recipes: