Baked Mocha Doughnuts
A delicious, coffee-flavored cake doughnut dipped in fudgy, chocolate glaze. These super easy Baked Mocha Doughnuts are the best way to get your morning caffeine fix!
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 8 doughnuts
For the Doughnuts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour , spooned & leveled
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted & cooled to room temperature
- 1/3 cup milk , room temperature (buttermilk preferred or 1%, 2% or whole)
- 1 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt , room temperature, or sour cream
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 tablespoons packed light brown sugar , 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons
For the Chocolate Dip
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips , dark or semi-sweet
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon cream , heavy cream, whipping cream or half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- chocolate sprinkles for decorating , optional
Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Spray a 6 cavity doughnut pan with non-stick cooking spray.
In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda & salt. Set aside.
In a second medium-sized bowl whisk together the egg, melted butter, milk, yogurt/sour cream, instant coffee powder, vanilla & packed brown sugar. Make sure the coffee powder has dissolved and there are no sugar clumps.
Fold the wet ingredients into the flour mixture using a large wooden spoon or rubber spatula, then give the batter a quick whisk to ensure everything is well mixed. Spoon the batter into the prepared doughnut pan. Or pour/spoon the batter into a large ziplock bag, cut off the bottom corner of the ziplock bag, then pipe the batter into the doughnut pan. Fill each cavity to about 2/3 full - you should get about 6 to 8 doughnuts total.
Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the doughnut feels slightly firm when touched gently with your finger tips. Allow to cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then remove from the pan and continue cooling on a wire rack.
While the doughnuts are cooling, make the glaze. Add all the ingredients to a double boiler and melt together over low heat while stirring occasionally. Alternately, add all the ingredients to a microwave-safe bowl and melt in 30 second bursts while stirring after each. Once everything is melted, whisk together until smooth.
Dip the tops of the doughnuts in the glaze, and optionally decorate with chocolate sprinkles.