A delicious, coffee-flavored cake doughnut dipped in fudgy, chocolate glaze. These super easy Baked Mocha Doughnuts are the best way to get your morning caffeine fix!
I love doughnuts. Maybe not the classiest choice in the baked good family. But I’m not a slave to status symbols.
And just like wine….. If I can’t pronounce it, I’m too embarrassed to order it. But I can always say doughnut. Or donut. And I’ve even trained my half asleep, decaffeinated self to say the words “Large coffee & one doughnut to go please.”
The strengths of the human brain never cease to amaze me.
But the whole Coffee & Doughnut thing got me thinking. I love a doughnut with my morning coffee. The soft, perfectly dense, cake-like texture. The sweet glaze. The bitter, rich coffee. It’s perfection.
So what if I could combine the doughnut & coffee???? A coffee flavored doughnut. A doughnut with all the comfort of a delicious baked good, and all the magical morning pick me up of my favorite beverage.
And I had to add a little chocolate too. Because who could say no to a fudgy chocolate glaze?
For these delicious mocha doughnuts we’re baking them in our doughnut pan. Which means there’s no scary hot oil, a few less calories, and the recipe comes together in no time. We’ll simply first whisk together the dry ingredients, then the wet ingredients separately. And finally fold the wet into the dry then give them a little whisk – and you’re done with the batter. You can either spoon the batter into your doughnut pan; or scoop the batter into a ziplock bag, then cut off the bottom corner, and pipe the batter into the doughnut cavities.
Finally for the glaze, we’re making a fudgy topping that’s a thick chocolate ganache. You can use semi-sweet or dark chocolate depending on your taste preference. The recipe will definitely make more than you’ll need for 6 doughnuts – but if you half the recipe dunking the doughnuts will be more difficult. Plus – I don’t think anyone will complain about a spoonful of chocolate ganache.
So make these doughnuts…. Drink your coffee. And rejoice in morning perfection.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour , spooned & leveled
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted & cooled to room temperature
- 1/3 cup milk , room temperature (buttermilk preferred or 1%, 2% or whole)
- 1 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt , room temperature, or sour cream
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 tablespoons packed light brown sugar , 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips , dark or semi-sweet
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon cream , heavy cream, whipping cream or half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- chocolate sprinkles for decorating , optional
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Spray a 6 cavity doughnut pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda & salt. Set aside.
- In a second medium-sized bowl whisk together the egg, melted butter, milk, yogurt/sour cream, instant coffee powder, vanilla & packed brown sugar. Make sure the coffee powder has dissolved and there are no sugar clumps.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the flour mixture using a large wooden spoon or rubber spatula, then give the batter a quick whisk to ensure everything is well mixed. Spoon the batter into the prepared doughnut pan. Or pour/spoon the batter into a large ziplock bag, cut off the bottom corner of the ziplock bag, then pipe the batter into the doughnut pan. Fill each cavity to about 2/3 full - you should get about 6 to 8 doughnuts total.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the doughnut feels slightly firm when touched gently with your finger tips. Allow to cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then remove from the pan and continue cooling on a wire rack.
- While the doughnuts are cooling, make the glaze. Add all the ingredients to a double boiler and melt together over low heat while stirring occasionally. Alternately, add all the ingredients to a microwave-safe bowl and melt in 30 second bursts while stirring after each. Once everything is melted, whisk together until smooth.
- Dip the tops of the doughnuts in the glaze, and optionally decorate with chocolate sprinkles.