This incredible apple bread is filled with brown sugar, cinnamon & plenty of apples. Fill your kitchen with delicious apple cinnamon goodness by making this applesauce bread!
Apple bread is a deliciously moist quick bread recipe. It’s tender and soft with a delicious apple cinnamon flavor and chunks of apples. The recipe actually has a double dose of apples because we’re using both applesauce and fresh apples.
Late summer and early fall is the perfect time to bake all your favorite apple recipes. Last year my apple spice cake recipe went crazy on Pinterest this time of year – so I figured I’d share even more easy, delicious apple recipes this fall.
Apple Bread Recipe
You can think of this apple recipe as the delicious, appley- dappley cousin of banana bread. It’s moist, slightly springy in texture, and has hint of brown sugar and cinnamon. It’s a quick bread recipe, so the batter comes together in no time. But the baking time is long – about 45-55 minutes.
To get started we whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. We’re using lots of cinnamon and nutmeg here. Trust me – the pair perfectly with the sweet, fresh apples.
Then we whisk together the melted butter, sugars, eggs, and vanilla extract. The brown sugar adds a delicious caramel flavor, then 2 eggs for an extra tender loaf. Then stir in the applesauce and sour cream. Not only does the apple sauce create a sweet, apple flavor – but it also adds tons of moisture.
The flour mixture gets gently stirred into the wet ingredients, and then the chopped apples are stirred in. I like to use a tart apple for this recipe, but a sweeter apple works too. Just make sure you choose an apple that’s crisp and firm.
When the apple done is done baking – it should have a nice crack down the centre and an inserted toothpick will come out clean.
After it’s totally cooled, a little drizzle of cream cheese glaze goes on top. It’s definitely optional – but definitely delicious. I love how it adds just a little sweetness without overpowering.
This applesauce bread is such a delicious fall recipe. The applesauce sweetens the bread and makes it extra moist, and the apple chunks add so much flavor and texture. And when there’s apples, cinnamon & a little cream cheese glaze – you definitely can’t go wrong.
For more apple cinnamon treats, try these other favorites:
- Apple Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cinnamon Brown Sugar Apple Pancakes
- Apple Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
For more quick bread recipes:
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup unsalted butter , melted
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup apple sauce , unsweetened
- 1 large apple , peeled & chopped
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 2-3 tablespoons milk or cream
- ½ - 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9x5 inch loaf pan, or line with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg & salt.
- In a large whisk together the melted butter and sugar (or use an electric mixer). Then whisk in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Stir in the applesauce and the sour cream.
- Gently fold in the flour mixture, followed by the chopped apple.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 45-55 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean and the loaf feels firm to the touch*
Cream Cheese Glaze
- Whisk together the cream cheese & ½ cup powdered sugar.
- Whisk in the milk/cream 1 tablespoon at a time, alternating with a little powdered sugar until its a consistency you can drizzle.
- Drizzle on top of the bread using a spoon or the tines of a fork.