Do you love cookies that are pillowy soft and maybe even a little gooey? What about a warm slice of banana bread? If you answered a big fat yes to either of those questions – then this recipe for banana chocolate chip cookies is definitely for you!
Banana chocolate chip cookies are an incredible thing. They’re extra soft, a little cake-y and a little gooey. They have a hint of that quintessential banana bread flavor and are full of chocolate chips.
Plus – sometimes you have a brown bananas AND you’re craving cookies. (Let’s face it, I’d never say no to a cookie).
To be totally honest, I’ve been feeling pretty uninspired lately. Frantically searching Pinterest, scrolling through Instagram – but I had zero ideas for what to bake. Like nada. Do you ever have that? Like you keep opening your cupboard and fridge thinking that it’ll magically tell you what to cook for supper?
Well, after about a week with zero inspiration – I had a bunch of bananas that were about 1 hour away from being way too brown. And just like magic, the stars aligned and the idea for these banana chocolate chip cookies popped into my head.
Banana Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Ok – let’s go over a few details here. These cookies are soft, chewy & 100% delicious. You’ll notice that the texture is a little different than most chocolate chip cookies. But that’s totally ok – it’s because the banana adds so much moisture and that’s what makes the cookies extra thick and a little gooey.
First we beat together the butter and sugar. We’re using brown sugar for more flavor. Then mix in the egg and vanilla extract.
Gently mix in about ½ of the flour along with the baking soda, followed by the mashed banana. Then mix in the rest of the flour and last but not least, fold in the chocolate chips.
Because the dough is very sticky, I recommend using a cookie scoop. Drop about 1 tablespoon of dough onto a lined cookie sheet, flatten slightly, and bake for about 7 minutes. I like to add a couple chocolate chips on top right after they come out of the oven to give them that “please eat me” look – but that’s totally up to you.
These banana cookies end up oh so soft with a delicious hint of banana – and then the chocolate chips…. well enough said. So if you’re looking to switch up your chocolate chip cookie recipe, or like your cookies extra pillowy soft – then these banana chocolate chip cookies are the thing for you.
For More Banana Chocolate Chip Recipes, try these:
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Chocolate Banana Bread
Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter , softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar , or ½ cup white sugar and ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup mashed banana
- 1 ¼ cups chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375F degrees.
- In a large bowl beat together the butter and sugar.
- Mix in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Beat in about half of the flour and the baking soda, followed by the mashed banana. Then beat in the rest of the flour.
- Stir in 1 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Using a cookie scoop, drop 1 tablespoon scoops of the dough onto lined cookie sheets about 2 inches apart.* Flatten slightly.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes or until the tops look just set. Place a few extra chocolate chips on the top of each cookie.