This double chocolate banana bread is moist and tender with a delicious double dose of chocolate. It’s a super easy recipe, and the perfect way to switch up your favorite banana bread.
If you have a bunch of brown bananas sitting on your counter (who doesn’t?) – then I definitely recommend making this chocolate banana bread recipe. It’s super moist, has a delicious mellow banana flavor, and a double dose of chocolate.
You see – I’ve come to the realization that people like chocolate just as much as me. No – there was no “official” statistical test or anything. But some of my most popular recipes on Just So Tasty are the super chocolate-y ones. Clearly, we have a thing or two in common.
So I figured it was time to switch up our classic banana bread recipe – and make this chocolate banana bread. The sweet, mellow banana flavor and rich cocoa are a match made in heaven. And with a large cup of coffee? We’re talking perfection.
Because sometimes you need a little chocolate for breakfast. Sometimes – I need a lot more deliciousness to get out of bed and face the day.
And that’s what double chocolate banana bread is for. It’s rustic, it’s homey, it’s comforting. And although it’s decadent – you aren’t eating cake for breakfast.
Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe
What I love about making quick breads – like banana bread – is that they’re so easy and straight forward. There’s no fancy ingredients, no complicated kitchen techniques, and you can whip up a delicious banana bread in about 10 minutes. Here’s a quick video showing you exactly how to make this recipe:
Now for a few common questions about making this banana bread.
Can I use oil instead of butter? Yup – no problem.
Can I turn this chocolate banana bread into muffins? I’ve got the perfect recipe for that. Try these double chocolate banana muffins.
My banana bread sunk in the middle. What happened? Most of the time this is caused by not baking the banana bread long enough. Also be sure to check if your baking powder or baking soda have expired.
Can I freeze banana bread? Banana bread freezes really well. First make sure it’s fully cooled. Then make sure to wrap it tightly in cling wrap 3-4 times. Then thaw in the fridge.
I recommend keeping a few brown bananas on hand at all times – then you’ll always be prepared for this tasty treat. It’s moist, it’s fudgy, it’s filled with chocolate but not too sweet, the perfect chocolate banana bread recipe out there.
Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter , melted & cooled to room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs , room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 ¼ cup mashed bananas , about 3 bananas
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour , spooned & leveled
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line a 9x5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper leaving an overhang, or grease and flour.
- In a large bowl whisk together the melted butter and sugar, followed by the eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in the mashed bananas.
- Fold in the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour/spoon the batter into your prepared pan.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean (minus any melted chocolate chips).
- Allow the bread to cool completely before removing from the pan and cutting into slices.
If you love this double chocolate banana bread – make sure to try these favorites too: