Soft, chewy super flavorful Brown Butter Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies. The brown butter gives a delicious nutty caramel flavor that makes these cookies so addictive. Then add pecans and lots of chocolate chips – and you’ve got the perfect recipe!
If there was a contest for the most flavorful cookies – these brown butter pecan chocolate chip cookies would win hands down. Not only are they filled with chocolate & pecans, but the brown butter gives the most delicious nutty flavor and the brown sugar adds a caramel undertone that’s completely addictive.
It’s like butter pecan meets chocolate chip. And you’re invited. Seriously, it’s the best flavor party you could image.
But if you’re not used to baking with brown butter – let me introduce you to your new best friend.
What is Brown Butter?
Brown butter is pretty much what the name says – it’s butter that’s been cooked until it’s a brown color. Basically, the milk solids in the butter become brown in color and it creates a delicious nutty flavor that really takes baked goods up a notch.
How to Make Brown Butter
Making brown butter is a really simple process. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Then instead of removing the pan from the heat, continue cooking and whisk gently. After the butter melts it’ll begin to bubble and froth then turn an amber color. Once you see the brown color and it smells like hazelnuts, take the butter off the burner and you’re done.
Then for Our Brown Butter Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies
After we’re done browning the butter, making these cookies is plain and simple. Bream together the butter & sugars, then mix in the eggs and vanilla. In this recipe we’re using an extra egg yolk to make the cookies extra chewy.
Then we’ll mix in the flour, baking soda, cornstarch & salt. Then we’re ready for our pecans and chocolate chips.
What you’ll also love about these chocolate chip cookies is that there’s no need to chill the dough. After the cookie dough is made, simply form the dough into balls and it’s time to bake.
I like to slightly underbake my cookies to keep them extra soft & chewy. Then it’s time to enjoy of one (or three) or these ridiculously flavorful brown butter pecan chocolate chip cookies. Seriously – you’re going to love them!
Brown Butter Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar , packed
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium/low heat melt the butter. After it melts continue stirring as it bubbles, turns an amber color, and gives off a nutty aroma.
- Remove from the heat and cool.
- In a large bowl beat together the cooled brown butter, sugars, egg, egg yolk and vanilla.
- In a separate medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cornstarch.
- Beat the flour mixture into the butter mixture.
- Then fold in the chocolate chips and pecans.
- Form the dough into balls about 1.5 tablespoons in size and place 2 inches apart on the lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the tops look just set.