This Very Berry Brownie Pizza is twist on classic brownies that’s perfect for summer. It starts with a fudgy, one bowl brownie. Then it’s smothered in a sweet cream cheese topping and decorated with fresh berries. If you love fruit pizza & chocolate – then this is the ideal recipe for you.
Now, I absolutely love brownies. Fudgy, chewy, full of chocolate. They make me weak in the knees. Like Nick Carter circa 1998.
So clearly, I’m always looking for more brownie recipes to get my chocolate fix.
Now that summer weather is here and fresh berries are in season, I figured it was the perfect time to combine fudgy brownies and juicy berries to make this Very Berry Brownie Pizza. Why hello there new favorite dessert!
It’s a deliciously chocolate brownie frosted with a sweet cream cheese topping and decorated with fresh berries. The brownie is fudgy, the topping is creamy, and the berries make it perfect for summer. Although, I’ll definitely be making this again during the winter months.
To get started, the brownie is a simple one bowl recipe made with oil and cocoa powder. Oil keeps the brownies fudgy, and using 2 eggs plus 1 extra egg yolk ensures they stay extra chewy. I don’t use an electric mixer for brownies, since it adds air to the mixture which makes them less dense and fudgy.
I typically like to make the brownie recipe the night before serving to save time the day of. Either way, you’ll need to make sure the brownie is fully cooled before assembling the brownie pizza.
Now the cream cheese topping just might be my favorite part. Smooth, creamy, slightly tangy – it perfectly marries the rich chocolate brownie. It’s a simple sweetened cream cheese topping that’s made from cream cheese, a little butter and powdered sugar. If you love cream cheese brownies – then this combination is for you.
Finally, our brownie pizza is decorated with fresh berries (or whatever fruit you prefer). I used a combination of strawberries, blackberries, blueberries & raspberries. You could be fancy and arrange them in a pretty design, but I decided to go free form.
This very berry brownie pizza was such a hit, and if you’re looking to take your brownies up a notch for your next dinner party – then this is for you.
Very Berry Brownie Pizza
For the Brownie
- 1/2 cup oil , vegetable or canola
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk , in addition to the other 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup flour , careful not to overmeasure
- 1/4 teaspon salt
For the Topping
- 6 oz cream cheese , softened
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter , softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups mixed berries
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line a 9 inch round pan with aluminium foil and lightly grease.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, sugar, eggs & vanilla.
- Stir in the cocoa powder, followed by the flour & salt.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is set and you see the edges just starting to pull away from the sides. Allow to cool fully.
- In a medium bowl beat together the cream cheese & butter until smooth. Then beat in the powdered sugar.
- Remove the brownie from the pan by lifting up the aluminium foil. Then peel off the foil and set the brownie on a serving plate. The brownie must be fully cooled before doing this.
- Frost the brownie with the cream cheese topping, then decorate with mixed berries.