These candy cane brownies are the perfect Christmas brownies. They start with fudgy chewy brownies, then they’re topped with a thick layer of creamy peppermint frosting and sprinkled with crushed candy canes.
I’m pretty obsessed with brownies. Fudgy chocolate goodness? Yes please!
So it was only the next logical step to add brownies to my Christmas baking list. (Seriously, why would you limit yourself to just Christmas cookies????)
Enter: Candy Cane Brownies!!!!!! Because peppermint + chocolate = a very good idea. We’re starting with fudgy brownies that are just a little bit chewy. Then they’re topped with a thick layer of peppermint frosting and sprinkled with crushed candy canes.
Talk about holiday cheer!
I ended up gifting these to our new neighbor. She has 2 very adorable dogs, so the gift was a little selfish – since it was also the perfect excuse to meet her dogs. Their names are Ryder and Zeus and they’re full of energy and extremely adorable. They’re little paws slid all over the hardwood floor as we played. And I’m hoping we become best friends for life.
But until then – let’s get back to the brownies.
The brownies are super easy to make and perfectly fudgy. For this recipe we’re using primarily butter for more flavor. We start by mixing together melted butter, a little oil for extra moisture, 1 tablespoon corn syrup, sugar and cocoa powder. The corn syrup makes them more fudgy and chewy in texture – but you can use honey instead if that’s all you have on hand.
Then finally the eggs are stirred in, and the flour is gently folded into the batter. Be careful not to bake the brownies too long or they can end up dry – I found 22 minutes was perfect for my oven.
Then once the brownies are fully cooled, we can get onto the frosting. Which is exactly what turns these regular brownies into Christmas brownies. Candy cane brownies in fact.
It’s a simple peppermint buttercream frosting that’s fluffy, creamy and slathered on with a thick layer. I wouldn’t have it any other way. I added a couple drops of red food coloring for a pop of color, and then sprinkled crushed candy canes on top which add a nice little crunch too.
These candy cane brownies are seriously drool-worthy, and the perfect treat to add to your Christmas baking. Especially if you love fudgy brownies and peppermint candy canes!
Candy Cane Brownies
- 1/2 cup butter , melted
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup , or honey
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder , sifted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 2 - 2.5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- red food coloring
- 1-2 tbsp whipping cream
- 2-3 candy canes , crushed
Make the Brownies
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line an 8x8 inch square pan with parchment paper or aluminium foil and grease lightly.
- In a large bowl stir together the butter, oil, corn syrup, sugar and cocoa powder.
- Whisk in eggs and vanilla extract.
- Then gently fold in the flour.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean but a little moist with batter.
- Allow to cool fully.
Make the Peppermint Frosting
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until soft.
- With the mixer on medium speed beat in the powdered sugar about 1/2 cup at a time until you've added 2 cups.
- Then beat in the peppermint extract and red food colouring about 2 drops at a time.
- With the mixer on high speed beat in the cream 1 tablespoon at a time, adding a little extra powdered sugar as needed.
- Frost the cooled brownies and sprinkle with crushed candy canes.