These homemade Fudgee-O cookies are extra soft, super chocolate-y, and seriously addictive. It’s an easy chocolate cake mix cookie recipe, then they’re sandwiched creamy chocolate frosting.
It’s no secret at all that I adore chocolate cookies. And these homemade Fudgee-Os just might be a new favorite. They’re chewy, extra soft and even a little bit cakey. And with 2 cookies AND chocolate icing you really can’t go wrong.
In the last couple months I’ve been experimenting around with cake mix cookies quite a bit. First I made these strawberry cookies, and then these lemon white chocolate chip cookies – and it turns out that everyone loved how delicious and easy the recipes are.
So I figured it was time to another easy cake mix cookie recipe. But this time, we’re bringing out the big guns with a dose of double chocolate.
How to Make Homemade Fudgee-O Cookies
Making these chocolate sandwich cookies at home is super easy. Here’s the details.
- First, beat together the oil and 2 eggs.
- Then mix in a box of Devil’s food cake.
- Form the dough into balls (I recommend using a cookie scoop so they’re all the same size) and place on a lined cookie sheet.
- Then flatten them down slightly, and make a little indent in the middle. I found that if I skip this step they can get too puffy.
- Then bake for 7-8 minutes
Here’s what I mean about making the little indent in the middle:
You can use other varieties of chocolate cake mix – but I find Devil’s food cake has the most chocolate-y flavor.
Then the chocolate frosting is extra creamy and super easy to make.
- In a saucepan melt together the butter and cocoa powder.
- Allow it to cool slightly.
- Then beat in the powdered sugar followed by a little milk or cream.
After that – it’s time to get sandwiching. From start to finish you can make these chocolate sandwich cookies in about 45 minutes, and you end up with super delicious extra chocolate-y cookies that no one can resist.
I so love that these cookies are soft and chewy instead of dry and crispy. And if you like your cookies a little bit cake-y and maybe even a little bit gooey, then these homemade Fudgee-Os are definitely for you.
And if you love chocolate cookies – make sure to try these other favorites too:
- Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
- Bakery Style Double Chocolate Cookies
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil , canola works too
- 2 large eggs
- 1 18 oz box devil's food cake
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
Preheat the oven to 350F degrees and line cookie sheets with parchment paper or baking mats.
In a large bowl beat together the oil, eggs and cake mix.
Form into balls about 1 - 1.5 tablespoons in size, and place 2 inches apart on the cookie sheets.
Flatten slightly and press down the center to form a slight indent.
Bake for 7-8 minutes or until the tops are set.
In a small saucepan melt together the butter and cocoa, until no lumps remain.
Pour the mixture into a mixing bowl and allow to cool.
Beat in the powdered sugar, followed by the milk about 1 tablespoon at a time until the desired consistency is reached.
Frost the bottom of one cookie then sandwich a second cookie overtop. Repeat with the rest of the cookies.
*Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.