Fudgy, chewy, super soft M&M Double Chocolate Cookies! The perfect M&M chocolate chip cookies for true chocolate lovers!
Double chocolate cookies are my ultimate weakness. Fudgy, chocolate-y times 2 – I love getting the texture of my favorite chocolate chip cookies and the flavor of my favorite brownies in one.
So when mini M&Ms were on sale – it was the perfect excuse to make a kid approved version (although – adults gravitate toward these too). Enter M&M Double Chocolate Cookies. Soft, chewy super chocolate-y cookies filled with chocolate chips and mini M&Ms.
The M&Ms give a pop of color, and you’ll love the crunchiness of the candy coating in cookies. (If that make sense)….
These double chocolate cookies are extra soft & chewy for a few key reasons:
- Melted butter for softer cookies.
- Adding some melted chocolate to the batter for a fudgier texture.
- More brown sugar than white sugar = more chew.
- The perfect amount of flour.
- A little cornstarch for softer, chewier cookies.
Lastly, it’s sooooo important to chill the dough before baking. This creates thick, pudgy cookies and combats the evil cookie spreading. (Ok – I know my Mom taught me not to call anyone evil…. And I know some people like thin & crispy chocolate chip cookies). But if you want your cookies to be thick & pudgy like the ones pictured, make sure to chill your dough.
Then slightly under bake your cookies to give that melt-in-your mouth consistency. It’s like a delicious bite into double chocolate heaven.
You’ll notice in this recipe I used melted semi-sweet chocolate. I found semi-sweet made the cookies super chocolate-y without being too rich. You could use dark chocolate instead, but I wouldn’t go any higher than about 60% cocoa solids or your cookies may end up too bitter. Plus, I find more people are likely to have a bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips in their pantry already.
The cookies are fudgy, the M&Ms are fun, and these are seriously to die for!
M&M Double Chocolate Cookies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour , spooned & leveled
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , melted & cooled
- 1/2 cup brown sugar , packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 oz semi-sweet chocolate , melted & cooled
- 1 large egg , room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini M&Ms
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- In a medium-sized bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking soda & salt.
- In a separate large-sized bowl using an electric mixer beat together the melted butter, sugars and melted chocolate until evenly combined. Add in the egg and vanilla and continue beating until mixed.
- Turn the mixer down to low speed and carefully beat in the flour mixture. Then turn off the mixer and stir in the M&Ms and chocolate chips. Cover the bowl with clingfilm and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350F degrees and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Allow the cookie dough to warm up for about 15 minutes or a little longer if it was in the fridge overnight.
- Form the dough into balls about 1.5 tablespoons in size and place 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the tops look just set. After cooking, you can place a few extra M&Ms & chocolate chips on the top of each cookie.