Mocha Brownies with Cafe Latte frosting: Super fudgy, coffee infused brownies topped with smooth & fluffy coffee buttercream. Your brownies just got classy.
Today’s recipe is brought to you by my two life savers: coffee & chocolate. They’re the people responsible for getting me out of bed in the morning, keeping my eyes open during boring conversations, and making me generally not a terrible grumpy person.
And to showcase your star power, we’re making Mocha Brownies with Cafe Latte Frosting. Think super fudgy, dark chocolate brownies infused with delicious coffee flavor and frosted with smooth, fluffy coffee buttercream. Fellow coffee addicts – these coffee brownies are for you.
Now when it comes to making brownies, there’s 2 general categories: brownies made with cocoa and brownies made with melted chocolate. (Or ok – sometimes brownies made with both cocoa and melted chocolate for those of us that are more bipartisan).
For these mocha brownies today, we’re using melted dark chocolate because it produces the fudgiest brownies. I’d recommend using somewhere between 60% – 75% dark chocolate.
Then the other rules for keeping our brownies chewy & fudgy:
- Adding an extra egg
- No baking soda or baking powder
- Keep the flour to a minimum
- Don’t over mix.
In fact, to make super chewy, fudgy brownies we’re skipping the electric mixer altogether. When we beat batter, more air gets into it. And more air = more cake like texture instead of dense, fudgy brownie heaven. Don’t you love it when a recipe encourages you to do less dishes???
Then for the coffee flavor in our brownies we’re using instant coffee powder. 1 tablespoon in fact. The smaller the granules of your instant coffee, the easier it’ll dissolve in your melted chocolate. I found Starbucks instant coffee worked best.
Then for the cafe latte frosting. Oh my, I could eat this by the spoonful / that’s exactly what I did. First we beat together the butter and icing sugar. Then dissolve our instant coffee powder in some cream. The coffee infused cream gets whipped into the frosting for the most delicious coffee buttercream imaginable.
While you COULD substitute milk for cream, using cream gives your buttercream the smoothest, creamiest, fluffiest, most delicious flavor. Do not (I repeat, DO NOT) use regular coffee granules here.
These brownies are fudgy, coffee infused, and the frosting is like that delicious foam on the top of your latte. And while they’re definitely dinner party approved – I also think they’re perfect for breakfast. Coffee=breakfast. So…. Mocha Brownies with Cafe Latte Frosting=Breakfast too? Right???
Mocha Brownies with Cafe Latte Frosting
For the Mocha Brownies
- 5.5 oz dark chocolate , chopped (60% - 75% cocoa)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs , room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour , spooned & leveled
For the Cafe Latte Buttercream
- 1 to 1.5 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 2 to 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter , softened to room temperature
- 1.5 to 2.5 cups icing sugar , sifted
For the Mocha Brownies
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line an 8x8 inch square pan with aluminium foil so the foil folds over the edges of the pan. Spray with non-stick cooking spray or grease with butter.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, melt together the butter and chopped dark chocolate in 30 second burst stirring after each interval. Repeat until the chocolate and butter are melted together. Then stir in the instant coffee granules and allow the mixture to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the sugar and vanilla, followed by whisking in each egg one at a time. Carefully fold in the flour and salt using a large rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Do not over mix the batter.
- Pour/spoon the batter into your prepared pan and bake for 18-22 minutes or until the top looks set and no longer shiny. Be careful not to continue baking the brownies after the top sets. Remove from the oven and allow to cool fully in their pan at room temperature. You can then cover the brownies and place them in the fridge overnight, or until you're ready to frost them.
To Make the Cafe Latte Buttercream
- Once the brownies are completely cool, make the frosting. In a small cup dissolve the instant coffee granules in 2 tablespoons of the whipping cream. If you prefer a stronger coffee flavor, use 1.5 teaspoons of instant coffee granules. Otherwise use 1 teaspoon.
- In a large bowl using a stand or hand-held electric mixer beat the butter for about 1 minute to soften. Turn the mixer down to low speed and beat in 1.5 cups of icing sugar. Once the icing sugar begins to incorporate, turn the mixer up to medium speed and continue beating. Then add in the coffee-infused whipping cream. Add in more icing sugar and cream to get the desired sweetness you prefer. The frosting should be a little thinner than peanut butter in texture.
- Remove the brownies from the pan and frost with the cafe latte buttercream using a flat-edge knife. Cut into 9 or 16 squares and enjoy. Brownies keep well in the fridge in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.