These giant peanut butter chocolate chip cookies are soft and chewy with slightly crispy edges and filled with chocolate chips. It’s an easy, no chill cookie recipe that taste way better than any bakery version and packed with big peanut butter flavor. Today I’m sharing this easy recipe for peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. They’re ginormous bakery-style cookies that are thick, chewy, super soft, but still have slightly crispy edges. The peanut butter flavor is super prominent, the chocolate chips are plentiful, and the recipe is super easy.
Best of all – there’s no need to chill the dough.
Now, if truth be told – I’ve made a lot of peanut butter cookies in my day:
- Peanut Butter White Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies with Chocolate Frosting
- Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies
But there are endless combinations and permutations of deliciousness. And when Jay came home from grocery shopping with a 1kg jar of Kraft peanut butter – I decided to christen the purchase by making peanut butter chocolate chip cookies.
Soft, ridiculously chewy, super easy peanut butter chocolate chip cookies in fact. The type of lazy day cookies that are too easy to make, and too delicious not to eat the entire batch within 24 hours.
Or is that just me???
But seriously – on to what makes these cookies so soft, chewy & completely delicious.
- We’re using a higher ration of peanut butter to butter for big peanut butter flavor.
- Brown sugar for softer, chewier cookies.
- Just enough flour so that the cookies are thick and chewy, but never dry.
- Extra chocolate chips for obvious reasons.
How to Make these Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Now, making the cookie dough is super easy. It comes together in about 10 minutes flat.
- First beat together the butter, peanut butter and brown sugar.
- Then mix in the egg and vanilla.
- With the mixer on low speed – mix in the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Form the dough into balls about 3 tablespoons in size, then place on a lined cookie sheet. You don’t need to flatten the cookies here – they’ll spread as you bake them.
- Then bake for about 12-14 minutes, or until the tops look just set. I always like to slightly underbake my cookies for a chewier, softer consistency.
- And when they come out of the oven place a few chocolate chips on the top of each. This gives the perfect bakery-style look.
Now for all your cookie questions:
Can I use natural or homemade peanut butter? I don’t recommend it simply because they can separate – you may end up with peanut butter that’s too oily or not oily enough. Meaning that your cookies will turn out flat and greasy, or dry and grumbly.
Can I freeze the cookie dough? Definitely. Make the cookie dough and form it into balls. Put the cookie dough balls in a ziploc bag, and pop it in the freezer. Then when you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven and place the balls 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet. There’s no need to thaw the dough first – you can bake the cookies straight from frozen and they’ll take an extra minute or 2.
Can I use chunky peanut butter? Yes. If using chunky peanut butter I just recommend reducing the flour to 1 and 1/3 cups instead of 1 1/2 cups.
Can I make smaller cookies? For sure. You can form the dough into balls about 1.5 tablespoons in size and they’ll take 8-11 minutes to bake.
My cookies spread too thin and ended up flat and crispy – what happened? This can be caused by a few things. Either a little too much butter, not quite enough flour, or an oven that runs too hot.
My cookies turned out dry and crumbly / they didn’t flatten out at all – what happened? This is caused by too much flour. Before measuring the flour give it a good whisk. Then spoon it into a dry measuring cup and level the top. You can also press down the tops slightly before or after baking if needed.
These chocolate chip peanut butter cookies are seriously peanut buttery, extra thick and chewy, and the best way to up the ante from plain old peanut butter cookies. You’ll love how quick and easy they are to make, and with soooo much peanut butter, you really can’t go wrong.
And if you love these peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, don’t forget to check out these other favorites too:
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter ,softened
- 2/3 cup peanut butter*
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour , spooned and leveled
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or baking mats.
- In a large bowl beat the butter, peanut butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Mis in the egg and vanilla.
- With the mixer on low speed beat in the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir in 1 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Form the dough into balls about 3 tablespoons in size (I use a large cookie scoop for this), then place 2 inches apart on the lined cookie sheet.
- Bake one tray at a time for 12-14 minutes or until the tops look just set.
- Remove from the oven and dot the tops of each cookie with a few more chocolate chips.