Turn your favorite chocolate chip cookies into the perfect fall treat. These pumpkin chocolate chip cookies are soft & chewy with a delicious pumpkin spice flavor and lots of melty chocolate chips. These chocolate chip pumpkin cookies are quick, easy & completely addictive.
Are you ready for pumpkin season? Because these pumpkin chocolate chip cookies are a MUST bake this fall. The texture soft and chewy without being too cakey, and the flavor is full of delicious pumpkin spice. Then they’re dotted with so so many melted chocolate chips.
Are you drooling yet????
When fall weather comes around – I start to crave everything pumpkin. So it only made sense to turn classic chocolate chip cookies into a tasty fall treat and infuse them with delicious pumpkin.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
It turns out that developing the perfect pumpkin chocolate chip cookies was actually quite difficult. Pumpkin adds a lot of moisture to cookies, which means that getting the perfect cookie texture can be pretty tricky. Looking at recipes online – a lot seemed way too cakey instead of chewy. And a lot of reviewers commented that the cookies turned out cakey or like muffin tops instead of chewy.
So I wanted to ensure that these cookies turned out chewy and cookie-like.
So here’s what makes these cookies delicious & completely perfect:
- We’re using shortening instead of butter. Shortening is 100% fat, whereas butter is only about 85% fat and about 15% water. Therefore cookies with shortening are extra chewy & tender. Butter normally adds flavor, but since these pumpkin cookies are filled with lots of flavor already shortening is the best option.
- Lots of spices – cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg & cloves for that perfect pumpkin spice. If you have pumpkin pie spice on hand, you can use that. If not – just see the notes in the recipe.
- Baking soda instead of baking powder. For this recipe, I found that using just baking soda gave the most cookie-like texture.
- Make sure to use pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie filling.
- Form the dough into balls about 1 – 1.5 tablespoons, then flatten slightly before baking. This helps to ensure that the cookies don’t get too puffy.
These pumpkin chocolate chip cookies have such a delicious pumpkin flavor, soft and chewy texture, and delicious pumpkin-chocolate combo. They’re so perfect for fall – and such a delicious way to enjoy pumpkin spice.
If you love these chocolate chip pumpkin cookies, try these other pumpkin favorites:
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice*
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree , not pumpkin pie filling
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375F degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flour, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, baking soda & salt.
- In a large bowl beat the butter and sugars until fluffy. Then mix in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Mix in the pumpkin puree, followed by the flour mixture.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the dough into balls about 1 - 1.5 tablespoons in size (I use a cookie scoop). Place 2 inches apart on the lined cookie sheets and flatten slightly.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes, or until the tops look just set. Remove from the oven and optionally place a few chocolate chips on top of each.