Chewy, gooey, Super Easy S’mores Bars – so you can enjoy your favorite camp fire treat no matter the weather! A graham cracker blondie-like base, melted milk chocolate & gooey toasted marshmallows!
If we ever meet – within 10 minutes you’ll know I don’t go camping. It’s not that I’m a complete princess per se, but my common sense is lacking at best. And the only thing I know how to McGyver is sunken cake top.
If truth be told, I’ve never actually gone camping. I think my parents were too afraid to take us as kids (4 girls = a LOT of complaining), and now as a quasi-adult I’m worried to go with friends and completely ruin their trip due to my lack of camping skills.
Because if you asked me to pitch a tent I’d Google map the nearest Double Tree (clearly a hotel that gives out cookies is the #1 option).
But despite my lack of outdoor skills and history of camping trips – I love s’mores. Gooey marshmallow, melted milk chocolate, crunchy graham crackers. Probably the best invention. And best reason to risk sleeping outside.
So these super Easy S’Mores Bars are my solution. They’re a delicious, make at home, no camp fire needed, chewy, gooey, melty s’mores bar. And they take zero effort & kitchen skills.
The base is a soft, slightly chewy, blondie-esque, graham cracker layer. Then it’s smothered in melty milk chocolate, and topped with gooey toasted marshmallows. Seriously – all the deliciousness of the camp fire treat, but without the risk of a rain ruining your day.
To get started – we’ll make the base by stirring together melted butter, sugar, egg yolk and vanilla. Then fold in some flour & graham cracker crumbs. The base comes together in no time, and bonus – there’s no mixer involved. Then it’s pressed into the bottom of a lined & greased square baking tray, and baked for about 12 minutes.
And now’s where the magic happens. After taking it out of the oven, you’ll carefully pour chocolate chips over top. They’ll melt from the heat of the warm graham cracker base, then you can spread the melted chocolate into a smooth layer with a rubber spatula.
Mini marshmallows are sprinkled on top of the melted chocolate. Then you’ll turn the oven to broil and pop the tray back in to toast the marshmallows. This part goes quickly – so you’ll want to watch them carefully so the marshmallows don’t burn. A couple of minutes is all you need.
The only hard part is waiting for your bars to cool before digging in. You’ll want to wait at least 30 minutes before cutting into bars, but the longer you wait the less messy your fingers will be.
Or you know… you could just dig in with a fork if you prefer. Seriously these delicious bars make me want to rethink my opinions on camping….
Super Easy S'mores Bars
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted and cooled slightly
- ½ cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg yolk
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour , spooned & leveled
- ½ cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 and ¼ cup milk chocolate chips , or whatever you prefer
- 1 and ¼ cup mini marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line an 8x8 inch square baking pan with aluminium foil and grease with non-stick cooking spray or butter. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl stir together the melted butter, brown sugar, vanilla & egg yolk using a large wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Be careful that the butter isn't too hot or you'll scramble the egg. Stir in the flour and graham cracker crumbs.
- Pour/spoon the batter into your prepared pan to form an even layer that covers the bottom. Bake for about 12 minutes then remove from the oven.
- Turn the oven to broil.
- With the tray out of the oven - carefully pour the chocolate chips on top of the warm graham cracker layer. Wait a few minutes for the chocolate chips to begin to melt, then carefully spread them smooth using a rubber spatula. Then sprinkle the marshmallows on top in an even layer.
- With the oven on broil, set the pan back in the oven to toast the marshmallows. This should take 2-5 minutes. Carefully watch your bars the entire time and remove from the oven when the tops of the marshmallows are golden brown.
- Allow to cool at room temperature for at least 1 hour before cutting into bars. Or to speed up the process - allow to cool at room temperature for 10 minutes, then place in the fridge to continue cooling. The bars will still be very gooey and melty when cutting into them. If you'd like to make it easier, allow the bars to cool fully before cutting into bars.