Strawberry ice cream, whipped cream and fresh berries make this strawberry shortcake ice cream cake impossible to resist. All you have to do is assemble the layers – no baking involved – for the perfect no-bake summer treat.
Let me introduce you to my new favorite summer dessert: strawberry shortcake ice cream cake. It’s fruity and creamy with a delicious cookie crust, and better yet, it’s ridiculously easy to make.
Because when the weather gets hot – it’s time to turn off the oven, step away from the kitchen, and bring out the ice cream.
Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Cake
This ice cream cake has 4 layers of deliciousness:
- Crunchy cookie crust
- Creamy, dreamy strawberry ice cream
- Whipped Cream
- And to top it off – tons of fresh berries
For the Cookie Crust
The crust is made with 2 simple ingredients:
- 2 cups crushed vanilla sandwich cookies (such as Golden Oreos)
- ¼ cup melted butter
You’ll need about 20 cookies, depending on the brand you choose, and you’ll use both the wafers and the cream filling. You can either process the cookies in a food processor, or place them in a ziploc bag and crush them with a rolling pin. Then the crushed cookies are mixed with the melted butter and pressed into the bottom of the pan.
Strawberry Ice Cream Layer
You’ll need 2 pints (about 1 L or 4 cups) of strawberry ice cream. Let the ice cream melt a little – then spoon it on top of the cookie crust, and smooth it out to form an even layer. Then pop it back in the freezer to harden.
Strawberries and Cream Topping
Then to top it off – fresh whipped cream and strawberries. Only add the whipped cream topping and fresh berries right before serving, otherwise, they’ll freeze and definitely won’t be as tasty. You could use whipped topping (such as cool whip) or fresh whipped cream. Either way – it’s delicious.
This strawberry ice cream cake is also super adaptable depending on what kind of cake you’d like to make:
- Use chocolate Oreos instead of vanilla
- Instead of crushed cookies, use pound cake for the base:
- Cut slices of pound cake about ⅓ inch thick, and make a layer onto the bottom of the lined pan. Prepare the other layers of the cake the same
- Use ½ pint of vanilla ice cream and ½ pint of strawberry ice cream. Spoon the vanilla ice cream on first, smooth the top, then pop the cake in the freezer for 10 minutes for the ice cream to firm up. Then spoon the strawberry ice cream over top, smooth the surface, and pop it back in the freezer.
- Top with fresh strawberry sauce instead. Note – it will be a little messier. I only recommend spooning the sauce onto each piece after slicing it.
- Use blueberries or blueberry sauce on top instead for red, white and blue ice cream cake.
Strawberry Crunch Ice Cream Cake
To make a strawberry ice cream cake reminiscent of the Good Humour ice cream bars, make the cookie base, strawberry layer, and whipped cream layer as directed in the recipe. Then pulse together 10 vanilla sandwich cookies, ¼ cup freeze-dried strawberries and 1 tablespoon butter in a food processor. Sprinkle over top of the cake.
Or for more summer treats, try these other favorites:
Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Cake
- 20 vanilla sandwich cookies , such as Golden Oreos
- ¼ cup unsalted butter , melted
- 2 pints strawberry ice cream , softened
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream*
- 8-10 large strawberries , cored and cut into pieces
- Line a 9x9 inch square pan* with aluminum foil, leaving an overhang around the sides.
- Crush the cookies (wafers and filling) either in a food processor, or in a ziploc bag crushing them with a wooden spoon.
- Mix together the crushed cookies and melted butter.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Spoon the ice cream over top top of the cookie crust and smooth the top.
- Cover the pan and place in the freezer for at least an hour before serving.
- When ready to serve, whip the cream until peaks form.
- Spread the whipped cream over top of the ice cream and top with chopped berries.