These vanilla cupcakes with chocolate frosting are perfectly moist with the softest cupcake crumb and delicious buttery vanilla flavor. You’ll love the creamy chocolate buttercream!
Sometimes in life I feel like trying something new, and different, and crazy. And sometimes there’s nothing better than going back to a classic.
Which is exactly what we’re doing today. In cupcake form.
Because moist, fluffy, super soft vanilla cupcakes with chocolate frosting is exactly what the doctor ordered. (The dessert doctor I mean…..)
Because a classic is always in style
Typically, vanilla cupcakes can be divided into 2 groups: yellow cupcakes and white cupcakes. White cupcakes are made with only egg whites – so they’re lighter in color and texture. Then yellow cupcakes have the egg yolk too. The flavor is a little richer and they hold up to lots of frosting. Which is always a big plus.
How to Make Vanilla Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting
For today’s vanilla cupcakes – we’re making yellow cupcakes. Here’s the run down of the ingredients:
- Start with real butter for more flavor
- 2 eggs plus 1 extra egg yolk for tenderness
- Cake flour for a lighter texture (see notes for a substitute)
- Buttermilk & sour cream for perfectly moist cupcakes – no dry cake crumbs here.
Then just make sure all your ingredients are room temperature before getting started so you don’t over mix the batter (otherwise – tough cupcakes and sad faces).
Then the chocolate frosting is my personal favorite. It’s fluffy, and creamy, and life changing-ly perfect. It’s made with real butter, cocoa powder, powdered sugar, whipping cream – plus a little vanilla and salt.
You can use natural cocoa powder or dutch processed if you prefer a stronger chocolate flavor. Then I really recommend using heavy cream or whipping cream for the fluffiest texture and creamiest taste. Seriously, you won’t regret it.
These vanilla cupcakes with chocolate frosting are the perfect recipe for birthdays, get togethers, or just really whenever you need a cupcake. (Every day???)
They’re fluffy, moist, so soft and have the most delicious vanilla flavor. Then with creamy chocolate frosting AND sprinkles – you’re definitely in for a treat!
Vanilla Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting
- 1 1/2 cup cake flour* (not self rising)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk , in addition to the 2 other eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup buttermilk**
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4-6 tbsp whipping cream
Make the Vanilla Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees & line muffin trays with muffin papers. (You'll get 16-18 cupcakes total)
- In a medium bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until very fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- In a liquid measuring cup or bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and sour cream.
- Slowly beat in the flour mixture and buttermilk mixture into the butter, adding about 1/3 of each at a time and alternating between adding flour and milk. Careful not to over mix.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling each about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Make the Chocolate Frosting
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat the butter until fluffy.
- Carefully beat in 2 cups of powdered sugar.
- Then beat in the cocoa powder, vanilla and salt.
- Beat in the rest of the powdered sugar about 1/2 cup at a time alternating with 1-2 tablespoons whipping cream until the desired consistency and sweetness level is reached.
- Frost the cupcakes using a knife or a piping bag (I used a piping bag with a 1M tip).
If you love these vanilla cupcakes, make sure to try these favorites too: