Banana bread muffins are moist, fluffy and filled with big banana flavor. Brown sugar, bananas, vanilla and a hint of cinnamon pack these muffins with flaovr. Then adding sour cream makes them perfectly tender. It’s an easy, no mixer recipe that makes perfect banana muffins every time.
Do you love banana bread? If yes (who doesn’t????) – then these banana bread muffins are definitely for you. They’re oh so moist and packed with flavor thanks to the bananas, brown sugar, cinnamon and vanilla.
The idea to make these banana bread muffins came last week. I had sooooo many brown bananas (aka – about 3 bunches), so clearly I had my baking work cut out for me. However, the idea of sitting around at home for an hour waiting for banana bread to finish baking was definitely a no go. These muffins have all the flavor of banana bread – but take way less time to bake.
How to Make Moist Banana Bread Muffins
Making banana bread muffins is really simple. To make the muffin batter:
- First whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt & cinnamon. I found using a combo of baking soda and baking powder made the muffins rise perfectly. Then the cinnamon really adds flavor.
- Whisk together the melted butter, sugars, eggs, vanilla extract and sour cream. Then whisk in the mashed bananas. We’re using ½ cup packed brown sugar in addition to ½ cup white sugar to add more flavor to the muffins. Then the bananas, 2 eggs and sour cream make these muffins moist, tender and fluffy.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the banana mixture.
- When it’s almost incorporated, stir in ½ cup chopped walnuts. Optional – but recommended.
Baking the Muffins
For extra tall muffins, make sure to fill your muffin liners to the very top. Then we bake them for 5 minutes at 400F degrees followed by about 10 minutes at 375F which makes them rise nicely and have golden edges. *You don’t need to remove your muffins from the oven in between – just let them continue to happily bake.*
These banana bread muffins are perfect for breakfast, coffee time, or a mid-afternoon snack. And if you’re still on the fence – here’s the recap:
- Big on flavor thanks to bananas, brown sugar, cinnamon & vanilla
- Extra moist
- Perfectly tender and soft
- Sky-high muffin tops
- From start to finish, ready in under 30 minutes
If you love these banana bread muffins, make sure to try these other favorites too:
- Banana Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
- Classic Banana Bread
- Light and Fluffy Banana Pancakes
Banana Bread Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar* packed
- ½ cup butter melted
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 3 medium large brown bananas* mashed
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 400F degrees and line a muffin pan with papers.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the sugars, melted butter, eggs, vanilla extract and sour cream.
- Stir in the mashed bananas.
- Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, followed by the chopped walnuts.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 400F degrees. Without removing the pan from the oven, turn the oven down to 375F and continue baking for 10-12 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.