Gluten free, dairy free & no refined sugars. These Healthy Peanut Butter Muffins with Chocolate Glaze taste rich & decadent but are healthy eating approved.
Using the words healthy, peanut butter and chocolate together might not seem to fit. But these muffins are magical. They taste decadent from the rich peanut butter taste and chocolate drizzle on top – but they’re gluten free, dairy free and sugar free. You can now have peanut butter and chocolate for breakfast without an ounce of guilt.
When it comes to healthy baking – I get a little nervous. I’ve had gluten-free cupcakes turn out like little rocks and sugar-free cookies taste…. well, clearly sugar free and not in a good way.So whenever I get asked to make a healthier version of one of my recipes … I’m apprehensive. Will they actually taste delicious? Do I need 50 ingredients that I’ll never use again?
But these peanut butter muffins are perfect. Gluten free, dairy free & no refined sugar. You make them in your blender – so they’re the easiest muffins ever. And they taste absolutely AMAZING.
The delicious taste comes from the peanut butter and banana. Peanut butter is, well obviously delicious, and the banana works as a natural sweetener. If you’re concerned with your muffins being truly gluten free, make sure to check your brand of peanut butter since some contain fillers that have gluten. Also, if you decide to use natural peanut butter really stir it first so the oil is fully incorporated. Then for added taste, you’ll add in honey for sweetness and some vanilla.
Now what’s amazing about these muffins is that they have a great texture & consistency despite using non-traditional muffin ingredients. They’re soft & moist from the banana – AND they have a fluffiness & slight crisp to their tops
All you do is first process some oats in your blender or food processor. Then add in the rest of your ingredients and blend until smooth. Literally a 5 minute process. Then pour your batter into the muffin trays, bake & you’re done.
Now, I added a chocolate drizzle to my muffins. There’s nothing I love more than peanut butter & chocolate – so obviously this was 100% necessary. But the muffins are totally delicious without it too. You could also throw in some chocolate chips or raisins. Or place a few dried banana chips on the tops of your muffins after they come out of the oven. Really, you can’t go wrong here.
These taste amazing for an easy – yet decadent tasting – weekend breakfast. But they’re also perfect for a healthy snack or dessert. Seriously, peanut butter + chocolate = healthy…. you can’t go wrong!
Healthy Peanut Butter Muffins with Chocolate Glaze
For the Muffins
- 1 and 1/2 cups old-fashioned or large flake oats
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 medium-sized bananas
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
For the Chocolate Glaze
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips , use vegan cocoa nibs for dairy free
- 1/4 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a 12 cavity muffin pan with muffin papers, or grease and flour with non-stick cooking spray. (Use gluten-free flour to ensure muffins are truly gluten friendly).
- In a large blender, pulse the oats for about 15-30 seconds until ground into a fine powder. Turn off the blender and add the remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth and no lumps remain. If using add-ins such as chocolate chips, turn off the blender and stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into the prepared pan using about 1/4 to 1/3 cups batter per muffin cavity. Bake in the oven for 15-17 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove and continue cooling on a wire wrack.
- While the muffins are cooling melt the chocolate chips and oil in a small microwave safe bowl for 20 second intervals until melted or over a double boiler. Drizzle the chocolate glaze over the muffin tops either using a spoon or piping bag.