Soft & chewy, no bake Homemade Granola Bars with chocolate chips and chocolate drizzle. This peanut free granola bar recipe is so easy and so perfect for back to school!
Oh hey there September! You snuck up rather quickly. Just yesterday I was drinking a milkshake and debating what to make for July…. and now it’s back to school.
Not that I’m going back to school – and neither is anyone in my “household” of 2. But I figured I should commemorate the start of September with a back-to-school recipe: Chewy Homemade Granola Bars. AND they’re nut free, no bake, ready in no time, filled with mini chocolate chips & drizzled with chocolate.
Hey – you need something to sweeten up the reality that summer holidays are over.
Now, you’ll love making homemade granola bars for a few reasons. Obviously, because they’re delicious. And the perfect lunchtime dessert/snack. They’re nut free so there’s safe for bringing to school. They’re way less expensive than the ones you buy at the grocery store. And you can make a way larger quantity than what comes out of the box.
Speaking of which – why do granola bars come in boxes of 5??? Unless you have 1 child or 5 – someone’s getting left out. Think about life in a family of 2 children or 4 children and the number of fights you could avoid if granola bars came in packs of 4 or 8??? 5 is not exactly a common multiple for number of children.
Ok – rant over. But it’s a terrible business decision from the makers of granola bars either way.
But today we’re making our own homemade granola bars. So problem solved.
The whole recipe comes together in under 10 minutes and requires no baking. First in a large bowl we’ll stir together our puffed rice cereal and quick oats. While I like to use old-fashioned oats in my oatmeal cookies – but in these chewy granola bars quick oats are the best choice.
Then in a sauce pan we’ll melt together some butter, honey, brown sugar & corn syrup. We’re using brown sugar in this recipe because it keeps our granola bars extra chewy and adds a delicious caramel flavor. YUM!!!
While gently stirring, the mixture will begin to boil. It will slowly bubble, then we can remove it from the heat and stir in some vanilla and cinnamon. Hello there deliciousness.
Then everything is stirred together and we pack the mixture tightly into our prepared pan. Instead of turning on the oven, it’s popped into the freezer to set for about 30 minutes – then it’s time for the chocolate drizzle. It’s important to really pack down the granola bars tightly so they hold together. But don’t worry – these peanut free granola bars are ridiculously soft.
They’re filled with flavor, reminiscent of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies but require even less effort. You’ll love these homemade granola bars as an after school or morning coffee snack.
Homemade Granola Bars
For the Granola Bars
- 2 cups and 1/2 quick oats
- 2 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
For the Chocolate Glaze
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with parchment paper, or line with aluminium foil and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl toss together the quick oats and crispy rice cereal. Set aside.
- In a medium sized sauce pan over medium heat melt together the butter, brown sugar, honey and corn syrup. After everything has melted together, allow the mixture to come to a slow boil for 2 minutes while gently stirring. Remove the pot from the heat and allow to cool for about 5 minutes. Then stir in the vanilla and cinnamon.
- Pour the sauce into your bowl with the quick oats and cereal stirring it together with a large wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Then stir in the 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips. Make sure the batter isn't hot before stirring in the chocolate chips - otherwise they'll melt.
- Spoon the batter into your prepared pan and press it down tightly with your hands or rubber spatula/wooden spoon. Place the tray in the freezer for 30 to 60 minutes to harden. Then cut into bars - I got 24 total.
- To make the glaze, add the chocolate chips and oil into a small bowl and microwave for short 30 second burst, stirring between each burst, until melted. Drizzle the melted chocolate over the top of each bar and allow the chocolate to set.