What’s the only thing better than a fudgy chocolate cookie? Eating the dough of course! This edible chocolate cookie dough is 100% safe to eat because it’s eggless and has no raw flour. It has the most delicious chocolate flavor, is ready in under 15 minutes, and totally decadent!
If you’ve been around my blog for a while – then you know how much I love double chocolate cookies. Fudy, rich, extra chocolatey cookies. I know that technically you aren’t supposed to eat raw cookie dough, but I always have to “taste test” the batter. So if you’re anything like me and love eating the cookie dough just as much as baked cookies – then this edible double chocolate cookie dough is for you. It tastes exactly like your favorite chocolate cookie dough, but it’s 100% safe to eat.
I know those fancy dough shops became super trendy a few years ago – but let’s face it – I didn’t need Instagram to tell me to eat cookie dough.
Chocolate Cookie Dough – Without Eggs
This recipe is based on my favorite double chocolate cookie recipe. However, to make the dough safe to eat and have the perfect consistency we have to make a few changes.
- Raw flour is unsafe to eat, so we need to bake the flour. To bake the flour:
- Measure out about 1 ¼ cups and spread into an even level on a cookie sheet. (Note that you’ll only use 1 cup of flour in the recipe, but because there’s some transfer loss when you bake the flour – I always add a little extra).
- Bake at 350F for 10 minutes.
- There’s no egg in this cookie dough (for obvious reasons). So instead, we’re adding in a little milk. You can use dairy-free milk if you prefer too.
You can whip up a batch of this cookie dough in under 10 minutes – and since there’s no need to chill the dough (or bake the cookies) – you’re immediately ready to treat yourself. You can also make a batch, and store it in an airtight container in the fridge until you’re ready to dig in. I recommend letting it sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes if it’s been in the fridge, just so it’s a little softer for eating.
Note: This recipe is not meant to be a cookie dough dip – it’s thick like cookie dough so you’ll want to eat it with a spoon. It will likely break a cookie or cracker if you try to dip it.
Serving & Eating
To serve – you could spoon it into ice cream cones, but I typically eat it with a spoon from the bowl. Because let’s face it, I don’t need to be that fancy while eating my cookie dough.
To be honest – I find the portions of this a little hard to determine because it’s definitely based on how indulgent you’re feeling. I’d say the recipe serves 4-6 or 8-10 people if everyone just wants a taste.
To half the recipe, you’ll need:
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
You could also easily double the recipe if you’re having a big party, or you could also bake a batch of my favorite edible chocolate chip cookie dough to go along with it.
For more chocolate cookie recipes, be sure to try:
- Double Chocolate Cookies
- Chocolate Cookie for One
- Cake Mix Chocolate Cookies
- Chocolate Sandwich Cookies with Raspberry Frosting
Edible Chocolate Cookie Dough
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour*
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1-2 tablespoons milk as needed
- ¾ cup mini chocolate chips or regular chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Pour the flour onto a cookie sheet (line the cookie sheet if it's very burnt/discolored) and bake the flour for 5-7 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Remove the flour into the oven and measure out 1 cup of flour (I spoon it into a dry measuring cup and level off the top). Turn off the oven.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the butter, brown sugar and white sugar until fluffy.
- Mix in the vanilla extract and salt.
- With the mixer on low speed, beat in the cocoa powder and flour.
- Mix in the milk 1 tablespoon at a time until you get the desired consistency.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.