These easy-peasy Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies are soft, chewy, and a little fudgy. The recipe only requires 4 ingredients, so it’s the perfect easy chocolate cookie recipe for whenever the craving hits.
I’ve made a lot of chocolate cookies in my day, but I don’t think you can ever have enough chocolate. So today I’m sharing the easiest recipe ever – chocolate cake mix cookies. They turn out perfectly fudgy and super soft, and even if you’re a little apprehensive about baking, you can easily make these cookies.
How to Make Chocolate Cookies from Cake Mix
You only need 4 ingredients to make these cookies:
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix – Devil’s food cake or chocolate fudge work perfectly
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips – you can use semi-sweet, white chocolate, dark chocolate, or really whatever you prefer
Some recipes for cake mix cookies use oil – but I found that cake mix cookies with butter have a chewier, more cookie-like, and less cake-like texture. If you only have oil on hand, you can use 1/2 cup oil instead of 1/2 cup butter.
First, you’ll beat the butter, eggs and cake mix. Then mix in the chocolate chips. Form the dough into balls, place 2 inches apart on a lined cookie sheet, and bake.
The dough is definitely sticky, so I absolutely recommend using a cookie scoop. If you don’t have one, then lightly grease a tablespoon and your palms to reduce sticking.
If your box of cake mix is 15oz (which is what I used), you’ll need 1/3 cup of butter. But if it’s an 18oz box, I recommend using 1/2 cup butter instead. Feel free you use your favorite brand of cake mix – I’ve made these chocolate cake mix cookies with Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker, and supermarket brands with great results.
I definitely have a soft spot for my favorite double chocolate cookies from scratch, but these cake mix chocolate cookies are definitely some stiff competition. They’re everything you could want in a cookie:
- even a little gooey
- super easy to make
- and filled with chocolate
Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 15oz box chocolate cake mix*
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips, plus more for dotting the tops with
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or baking mats.
- In a large bowl using beat together the butter, eggs and chocolate cake mix.
- Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Using a cookie scoop* spoon the dough into balls about 1-1.5 tablespoons in size and place 2 inches apart on the cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the tops look set. Optionally, place a few chocolate chips on top of each cookie.