French toast that’s perfect for fall! This Pumpkin French Toast is extra fluffy, filled with pumpkin spice & tastes amazing drizzled in maple syrup.
When fall rolls around I try to get my fill of everything pumpkin. And since the most popular breakfast recipe on Just So Tasty is my French Toast – I figured it was time to combine the best of both worlds and make pumpkin French toast.
It’s extra fluffy, has perfectly golden edges, warm spices, a hint of brown sugar, and tons of pumpkin. And of course, it’s delicious with whipped cream and maple syrup
Pumpkin French Toast Recipe
I love making this pumpkin french toast because it’s sooooo easy and takes seriously no time at all. Like regular french toast – we start by whisking together eggs, milk & a little sugar. Only in addition to those ingredients, we’re also adding pumpkin puree & pumpkin pie spices.
You can use pumpkin pie spice or make your own using cinnamon, ginger & nutmeg. (I’ve included notes in the recipe).
Then the bread gets dipped into the mixture, and it’s ready for the frying pan.
Now for some tips:
- Make sure to use 100% pure pumpkin & not pumpkin pie filling. Pumpkin pie filling has a bunch of other ingredients, so it doesn’t work well for this recipe.
- I like to use thick-cut white bread for the fluffiest french toast. Challah or brioche works really well and tastes extra indulgent.
- Give the bread a good dunking on both sides in the french toast batter so that it’s filled with flavor. Then gently shake off any excess before placing each slice in the pan.
- French toast is best served immediately. I love this recipe with maple syrup & whipped cream. It’s also delicious with caramel sauce – if you want it to be more of a dessert.
This pumpkin pie french toast is the perfect fall breakfast. So turn on the coffee pot, and make yourself something delicious.
For more pumpkin breakfast ideas, try these other favorites:
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 4 large eggs , whisked
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 12 slices thick-cut bread
- oil or cooking spray , for greasing the pan
Add all the ingredients (except the bread) to a medium-sized bowl or shallow dish.
Whisk until smooth.
Heat a frying pan to low-medium heat, or a griddle to 350F.
Lightly grease with oil or cooking spray.
Dunk a piece of bread in the French toast mixture, covering each side. Gently wipe/shake off any excess batter.
Grill for 2-4 minutes on one side until golden, then flip and continue frying on the second side until both sides are golden and the bread begins to puff.
Repeat with the rest of the toast, adjusting the burner/griddle temperature as necessary.
Serve immediately with syrup and whipped cream.