Clusters of crunchy peanuts, gooey marshmallows and creamy milk chocolate make this Rocky Road Candy impossible to resist. Simply melt the chocolate in the microwave or in a double boiler, then stir in the peanuts and marshmallows. So easy and perfect as a homemade gift.
Do you love rocky road? I’m a sucker for anything with chocolate and peanuts. And when there are sweet, gooey, chewy marshmallows too you’ve definitely got yourself a winner.
These rocky road clusters are definitely addictive because they have everything you could ever want in a homemade candy. They’re:
- and just plain delicious
How to Make Rocky Road Candy
A lot of homemade candy recipes can be pretty tricky, but these rocky road candies are seriously easy. There are only a few ingredients, no candy thermometer needed, and you can make them in the microwave.
For the most delicious chocolate flavor, I like to use a combo of milk chocolate and dark chocolate. It makes the candies super creamy without being too sweet or too rich. But feel free to use 100% milk chocolate, 100% semi-sweet chocolate, or whatever kind of chocolate you prefer. You could even use white chocolate if you’re feeling fancy.
The only trick here is to be careful when you melt the chocolate. Otherwise, your chocolate will bake and get clumpy instead of being velvety smooth.
To melt chocolate in the microwave:
- Add it to a large heatproof bowl.
- Microwave on medium power for 45-second intervals, and stir between each interval.
- Make sure your microwave is on medium power, and not high power!
- Only microwave until it’s about 95% melted, then stir until smooth.
To melt the chocolate on the stove top:
- Add about ½ of water to the bottom of a saucepan.
- Place a large bowl on top of the pan, ensuring that the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water.
- With the burner on low heat, add the chocolate to the bowl.
- Melt the chocolate while stirring occasionally.
Once the chocolate is melted, give it a minute or 2 to cool slightly so you don’t melt the marshmallows. Then stir in the peanuts and marshmallows. Drop tablespoon-sized dollops onto a lined cookie sheet, then let them harden for about 2-3 hours. You can speed up the process by placing them in the fridge, but sometimes this can make the chocolate turn a funny color. So I like to let them harden at room temperature (although it’ll take longer).
This easy rocky road candy is delicious all year round. But it’s also perfect over Christmas for snacking on, or wrapping in holiday tins and gifting to friends and neighbors. Everyone loves the combo of chocolate, marshmallows and peanuts – and best of all, it’s ridiculously easy to make.
If you love this rocky road candy, make sure to try these other favorites:
Rocky Road Candy
- 12 oz milk chocolate* , chopped
- 6 oz dark chocolate* , chopped
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- 2 ½ cups mini marshmallows
- ¼ cup chopped peanuts , optional
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment or wax paper.
- Add the chocolate to a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on medium power for 45-second bursts, stirring between each.
- When the chocolate is just melted, remove from the microwave and stir until smooth.
- Stir in the peanuts and marshmallows.
- Drop tablespoons of the mixture onto the lined cookie sheets.
- Optionally, sprinkle the top of each with a few chopped peanuts.
- Let harden at room temperature for 2 hours, or until firm.
Just made these, they’re amazing and so quick! This is a great treat to make with a niece or nephew. My hubby loved them, the balance of chocolate you recommend is just right.
Hi, Can I use any nuts or must it be peanuts?
Feel free to use whatever you prefer! I love macadamias and cashews myself!