These baked pumpkin doughnuts with cream cheese glaze are the perfect fall treat. Ready in 30 minutes start to finish – have them for breakfast or afternoon coffee!
This past weekend felt very fall-like. The temperature dropped, leaves were on the side walk, and I was very happy to stay inside and turn on the oven – which is the best part about cold weather.
Clearly, it was time for another autumnal recipe. Helloooooo Pumpkin Doughnuts!
Now, I for one love me a good pumpkin recipe. And I also love my doughnut pan. So naturally – it’s a match made in heaven. And they’re ready in 30 minutes start to finish? Yes please! Seriously, you’re going to love this recipe.
These doughnuts are delicious. Big pumpkin flavor, accompanied by spices & vanilla, then brown sugar for a delicious caramel undertone – and you’ve got yourself a super tasty fall treat. I love the texture of a baked cake doughnut, and the pumpkin makes these especially moist.
The doughnut flavor itself is so delicious that you’ll enjoy eating them plain – but I think a little extra pizzaz is always a good thing. I debated topping them with glaze vs. sugar coating. Both are great options, but glaze won out. Can you say no to pumpkin & cream cheese??? (If so – please let me know your secrets. This would save 5lbs from my Thanksgiving weight gain).
So cream cheese glaze it is. You could either dip the tops of the doughnuts in the glaze or do a drizzle over the tops. And then – you’re ready for eating. Whether it’s breakfast, afternoon coffee or dessert – these are a total fall crowd pleaser! (Although, you may not want to share…..)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg , room temperature
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 tablespoons brick-style cream cheese , softened
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon milk or cream
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Grease a 6-cavity doughnut pan with non-stick cooking spray or butter and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg & ginger until combined. Set aside. In a separate medium sized bowl whisk together the sugars & break up any clumps of brown sugar. Add in the oil, vanilla & egg and whisk to combine. Add in the pumpkin puree and continue whisking. Once combined, scrape down the sides of the bowl and whisk in the the dry ingredients until everything is combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared doughnut pan until the cavities are 2/3 to 3/4 full. Alternatively, spoon the batter into a large ziplock bag then zipper close the bag and cut one of the bottom corners off. Use the bag to then pipe the doughnut batter into the doughnut cavities. Bake for 8-10 minutes until the doughnuts feel slightly firm and spring back after touching them lightly with your finger. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in their tray before removing from the pan to continue cooling.
- While the doughnuts are cooling, beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer. Slowly add in the icing sugar and continue beating then add in the milk or cream, starting with 1 teaspoon. Add more icing sugar and milk or cream until the desired consistency is reached. Drizzle the tops of the doughnuts with the glaze, or dip into the glaze.
Adapted from King Arthur Flour