These chocolate cheesecake bars are the smoothest, creamiest chocolate cheesecake recipe out there. With a crunchy Oreo cookie crust, then topped with whipped cream and fresh berries – it’s an easy cheesecake recipe that’s always a favorite.
I don’t make a lot of layer cakes. They always seem like way too much work, and I’m petrified of the cake toppling over during transport. Whether I’m bringing it to a friend’s house or from the kitchen counter to the table. Because I’m #accidentprone
So instead, I make cheesecake. Creamy, smooth, super decadent cheesecake. And today’s cheesecake of the day are these chocolate cheesecake bars.
A crunchy Oreo cookie crust and then the smoothest, creamiest, chocolateiest cheesecake imaginable. Sometimes cheesecake can seem too dense, or too rich, or basically like you’re biting into a block of cream cheese (gross). But not these chocolate cheesecake bars.
They’re just right. And just plain delicious.
Since Jay and I have no willpower when it comes to desserts – he took the leftovers to work the day after I made them. And needless to say, the pan was completely empty before noon. So clearly – they were a hit.
How to Make Chocolate Cheesecake
To get started first we make the crust.
- Stir together the Oreo cookie crumbs & melted butter.
- Press into the bottom of the prepared 9×13 inch pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
Talk about easy.
Then it’s time to make the cheesecake layer. Just make sure here that all your ingredients are room temperature before getting started, and then we’re good to go.
- First we beat the cream cheese until well softened.
- Then mix in the sugar, melted dark chocolate, vanilla extract & a tablespoon of cornstarch. (The cornstarch helps minimize cracking)
- Then stir in the sour cream.
- And finally, mix in the eggs one at a time.
You’ll want to be careful not to overmix the cheesecake layer. Otherwise too much air gets in the batter, and it can cause the cheesecake to sink and crack as it bakes.
If you have a roasting pan that’s big enough for your 9×13 inch pan to fit inside it, you can bake the cheesecake using the waterbath method described in the recipe instructions below. Otherwise, you can bake it at 325F instead for about 40-45 minutes. I have all the instructions listed in the recipe notes. 🙂
These chocolate cheesecake bars are easy, creamy, perfectly chocolate-y without being too rich, and just plain delicious. I topped my with whipped cream and fresh berries. But however you slice them, they’ll be a BIG hit
Chocolate Cheesecake Bars
- 2 1/4 cups Oreo cookie crumbs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , melted
- 24 oz cream cheese , softened to room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 8 oz dark chocolate , 50-70%
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 5 large eggs room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees or 325F degrees if you aren't using the water bath method*
- Line a glass 9x13 inch baking pan with aluminium foil and lightly grease.
- Make the crust. In a medium bowl stir together the Oreo crumbs and melted butter. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- Make the filling. In a large bowl beat the cream cheese until soft using an electric mixer. Then beat in the sugar, dark chocolate, vanilla & cornstarch
- Turn off the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- With the miser on low speed beat in the sour cream, followed by the eggs 1 at a time. Be careful not to overmix.
- Pour the batter into the pan over top of the crust.
- Place the 9x13 inch cheesecake inside a large roasting pan, then pour about 0.5 -1 inch of hot water into the roasting pan. (Or see the recipe notes if not using the water bath method).
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until the top looks almost set in the middle and the cheesecake has a slight wobble.
- Allow the cheesecake to cool in the water bath until the water is lukewarm. Then remove the cheesecake pan from the roasting pan, cover, and let chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours or preferably overnight.
- Serve with whipped cream & fresh berries, or chocolate sauce.