My favorite type of cookie – my favorite type of cake. This Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake with Chocolate Frosting is the ultimate dessert for cookie lovers.
If you like giant chocolate chip cookies that are extra soft, super chewy, and maybe even a little gooey – then this cookie cake is for you. It’s probably my favorite thing in fact. My my raison d’etre if you will.
Because we’re combining cookies, cakes & frosting all in one – and the recipe is so easy. It’s the perfect birthday cake for cookie lovers, or when you’re looking for a no-stress recipe. The cookie is super soft & buttery. And because its made into cake form, there’s no need to chill your dough or form all those little cookie dough balls.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake Recipe
The cookie recipe is adapted from my Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies. Here’s the ingredient run down:
- It uses real butter for the most flavor
- A combo of brown sugar and white sugar for a deeper caramel taste and extra chewiness
- 1 egg for tenderness
- Vanilla extract for more flavor
- Just enough flour so it’s extra chewy but not dry and crumbly
- Then the secret ingredient is using vanilla pudding mix. You don’t need to actually make the pudding – the dry mix goes directly into your batter. The pudding mix is what makes the cookie cake extra soft and chewy
What’s even better about making cookies in cake form is that there’s no dough chilling. So it’s super quick and easy to make. AKA – if you’re watching Netflix by yourself on a Saturday night and the craving hits…. well, you know.
Finally, I piped chocolate buttercream around the edges of my chocolate chip cookie cake. It’s also delicious served warm with ice cream, or maybe a drizzle of chocolate sauce. Or all three.
Seriously – if there’s a cookie lover in your life – then you need to make this ASAP. (And seriously – who doesn’t have a cookie lover in their life?)
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
For the Cookie Cake
- 1 ⅔ cup all-purpose flour , spooned and leveled
- ¼ cup instant vanilla pudding mix , not cook n' serve*
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter , softened to room temperature
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg , room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1 ¼ cup chocolate chips
For the Chocolate Buttercream
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter , softened
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 and ¼ to 1 and ½ cups icing sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy cream or milk
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Spray a 9 inch pie pan or 9 inch round cake pan with non-stick spray & set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour the flour, baking soda, pudding mix & salt.
- In a separate large bowl beat together the butter and sugars on medium speed until light & fluffy.
- Mix in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Mix in the flour mixture, followed by the milk.
- Turn off the mixer and stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the mixture into your prepared pan & press down the cookie dough.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes until the top looks set. If the top starts to get too brown before the cake is done, tent a piece of aluminium foil and place it over the top.
- Remove from the oven & allow to cool on a wire rack.
- In a medium bowl beat the butter until fluffy.
- Beat in the cocoa powder.
- Then beat in the powdered sugar about ½ cup at a time, alternating with 1 tablespoon of milk/cream until the right sweetness level is reached.
- Decorate the cake and serve.
If you love this cookie cake – make sure to try these other favorites: