Double Chocolate Banana Cupcakes are fluffy and perfectly moist with a delicious banana flavor. Then they’re topped with creamy chocolate frosting for a double dose of chocolate.
Sometimes a double dose of chocolate is exactly what the doctor calls for.
Because chocolate makes you happy. And mental health is important. (Can you tell that I love to rationalize my sweet tooth?)
So today we’re making these Double Chocolate Banana Cupcakes. They’re light, fluffy, super moist chocolate cupcakes infused with delicious banana bread flavor. Then they’re topped with the creamiest chocolate buttercream frosting.
They’re the perfect way to use up brown bananas when you feel like dessert instead of banana bread. And if you like chocolate cake that’s moist with big chocolate flavor, then these double chocolate banana cupcakes are for you.
The cupcakes are perfectly moist with a super soft cake crumb because we’re using oil, a combination of white sugar and brown sugar, mashed bananas, and buttermilk. They’re not the least bit greasy, and instead you end up with a chocolate cupcake with zero dry cake crumbs and a light & fluffy texture.
But what’s even better than the soft cupcake texture is the delicious chocolate banana flavor. It’s not too strong, and the banana adds a delicious mellow flavor to the chocolate cupcakes.
Then last but not least, they’re frosted with creamy chocolate buttercream. It’s an easy, straightforward recipe using butter, cocoa powder, powdered sugar & whipping cream – so there’s nothing fancy here. I like to use dutch process cocoa for a richer chocolate taste and darker color, but natural works just fine too. Then I definitely recommend using whipping cream or heavy cream instead of milk. Cream gives so much more flavor and makes the chocolate frosting extra fluffy.
Talk about win-win.
The cupcakes are light & fluffy, the flavor is delicious banana chocolate, and with creamy chocolate buttercream frosting – these double chocolate banana cupcakes can’t be beat!
Double Chocolate Banana Cupcakes
For the Banana Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar , lightly packed
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs , room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mashed bananas
- 1/3 cup milk , buttermilk or regular
For the Chocolate Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar , sifted
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder , sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4-6 tbs whipping cream
Make the Banana Chocolate Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees and line 2 muffin trays with muffin papers. You'll end up with about 18 cupcakes.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate large bowl beat together the oil, sugars, eggs and vanilla using an electric mixer on medium speed. Then beat in the mashed bananas.
- With the mixer on low, slowly beat in the flour mixture followed by the buttermilk.
- Fill the muffin papers about 2/3 full, and bake for 15-18 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Make the Chocolate Frosting
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until very soft.
- Slowly beat in 2 cups of the powdered sugar, followed by the cocoa powder and vanilla.
- Beat in the rest of the powdered sugar about 1/2 cup at a time alternating with 1 tablespoon whipped cream until the desired consistency and sweetness is reach.
- Frost each cupcake using a piping bag (I used a 1M tip) or a knife.
And if you love banana and chocolate together – make sure to try these favorites too:
- Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
- Banana Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Banana Chocolate Chip Cake with Chocolate Frosting