Super dense, ridiculously fudgy Nutella Brownies. Chocolate & hazelnut come together in this super easy, one-bowl, no mixer recipe.
Today is my birthday. Now – I have mixed feelings about turning one year older, and I don’t usually (ever??) wear a birthday crown or throw myself a party – but I ALWAYS celebrate with birthday treats.
So this year – I decided to commemorate being one year older with brownies. Fudgy, Nutella Brownies in fact. Brownies that have a rich chocolate, hazelnut taste for my mature side. And are showered with sprinkles
for my immature side because I’m young at heart.
And because I think brownies > cake.
To be honest, I’m not always that excited for my birthday. But this year I decided to take it in stride. Yes, I’m another year farther away from 19 and another year closer to 30. But a lot of good things happened this year:
- I perfected my recipe for super fudgy Double Chocolate Cookies
- I got to celebrate weddings, engagements, new jobs & new babies with so many people I love
- I got a toy dog named Creamsicle
- We moved into a bigger apartment with more kitchen space
- And generally – just a whole lot of happy, good things happened.
And these happy, good things deserve to be commemorated with Nutella Brownies.
They’re ridiculously fudgy, not the least bit cakey, and have the most delicious chocolate hazelnut taste. We’re using melted butter, dark chocolate , Nutella and an extra egg yolk for a super fudgy consistency. Then we’re skipping the electric mixer altogether for the ultimate dense brownie texture.
Better yet – the whole recipe comes together in one bowl so there’s less dishes and more time for birthday celebrations.
Now as a warning, these are not for the chocolate faint at heart. They have a rich taste due to the Nutella and dark chocolate. But if you prefer a sweeter brownie, you could opt for using semi-sweet chocolate instead.It’s also 100% necessary here to wait til your brownies have cooled completely before cutting them into squares. Because they’re so fudgy, you’ll end up with a pretty big mess if you cut into them while they’re hot.
I “decorated” (AKA increased the Nutella factor) by spreading some Nutella on each brownie – but that’s totally up to you. They’re also delicious plain, or with a scoop of ice cream. Let your inner chocolate lover be your guide.
So – here’s to being another year older! Maybe a little bit wiser??? And still being a complete chocolate addict. What are your favorite birthday treats???
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 oz dark chocolate
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar light or dark
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Nutella or other chocolate hazelnut spread
- 2 large eggs plus one large egg yolk room temperature
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- extra Nutella & sprinkles for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line an 8x8 inch or 9x9 inch square baking tray with aluminium foil and lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray or grease with butter. Set aside.
- In a large microwave safe bowl melt together the butter and dark chocolate in 30 to 45 second bursts stirring after each until the mixture is melted together. Let sit for a few minutes to cool down slightly - then stir in the brown sugar, vanilla and salt with a large wooden spoon or rubber spatula making sure there are no lumps of sugar. Then gently stir in the Nutella.
- Whisk in the eggs and egg yolk using a whisk. Then carefully stir in the flour using a large rubber spatula or wooden spoon.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. The top should be set, and if you gently nudge the tray you shouldn't see the batter wobble. When you insert a toothpick it should come out clean or with a few moist crumbs.
- Allow to cool fully to room temperature, then cut into 16 squares. Optionally, frost with Nutella and decorate with sprinkles