These chewy milk chocolate brownies are super fudgy with a deliciously creamy milk chocolate flavor and milk chocolate chips. Made in one bowl & no mixer needed!
I often get asked why I don’t bake with milk chocolate. It’s creamy, it’s delicious – and hey, you can eat a whole family-sized Dairy Milk bar 10 minutes flat (just me??). So why wouldn’t I add that creamy, milky goodness to recipes?
Well my answer up until recently was always this. Milk chocolate has a low percentage of cocoa. And when we use chocolate in baking, we end up diluting the cocoa flavor because of the other ingredients (butter, milk, flour, etc). So if we start off with milk chocolate, then the chocolate flavor is too weak.
But I love milk chocolate. And after enjoying some delicious Lindt milk chocolate over Easter, it got me thinking…. Could I make a milk chocolate brownie? A brownie with milk chocolate chips? That’s fudgy and chewy and filled with delicious creamy milk chocolate flavor?
It was challenge accepted.
And what a delicious challenge it was.
These milk chocolate brownies with milk chocolate chips are pretty much everything you could ever want in a brownie – but with a slight change up because of the milk chocolate. They’re chewy, fudgy, perfectly dense, filled with chocolate chips and have a delicious mellow milk chocolate flavor.
They aren’t as rich as brownies made with cocoa or dark chocolate, but they have that quintessential brownie texture and aren’t the least bit cakey. Like biting into a piece of fudge.
What you’ll also love about this recipe is that these milk chocolate brownies are made in one bowl. First we melt together the butter & milk chocolate. Then stir in some brown sugar and white sugar, followed by the egg and vanilla.
Finally a little flour and a tablespoon of cocoa powder get folded in, then the chocolate chips, and it’s time to bake. You could make these milk chocolate brownies without cocoa powder too – just remove the cocoa and add 1 extra tablespoon of flour.
Now – a lot of the secret to perfectly fudgy brownies is in the bake time. If your brownies bake for too long they become dry and hard. So be careful not to over bake. These will take about 20-24 minutes, depending on your oven. The top should look set, and an inserted toothpick will come out with a few damp crumbs.
Then cool the brownies fully before cutting them into squares (I know – it’s agony) – and milk chocolate brownie goodness is all yours.
You could serve these with ice cream and chocolate sauce – or straight out of the fridge with a glass of milk. They’re creamy, fudgy, milk chocolate, and oh so delicious.
Milk Chocolate Brownies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 6 oz milk chocolate
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line a square 8 inch baking pan with aluminium foil and lightly grease.
- In a large bowl melt together the butter and 6 oz milk chocolate either using a double broiler, or in the microwave in short 30 second bursts.
- Once melted, stir together. Then whisk in the sugars, followed by the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Fold in the flour and cocoa powder using a rubber spatula. Then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20-24 minutes, or until the top looks set and an inserted toothpick comes out with a few damp crumbs.
- Allow to cool in the pan fully (about 3 hours). Then cut into squares.